Chapter Fourteen: My Story

I thundered down the stairs and back into the living room. "Here you go!" I gently tucked the pillow underneath her head and draped the blanket over her small frame. "Alright you want something to eat or drink?"

"Just a glass of water, please." She requested quietly.

I immediately saw the change in her attitude. She was upset.

"Sure..." I said skeptically. "Are you alright?" I asked her though I figured she wouldn't answer me.

She just nodded and turned away looking for the tv remote. I decided not to press and just left to get her water. I went into the kitchen and filled a glass with water.

"Here's your water, my lady." I said as I set the glass down on the coffee table.

"Thanks," she mumbled and turned her attention back to the tv.

I knew something was up. It was obvious. I wrestled the remote out from her grip and paused the television. "Shaina, what's up? Something's wrong. What is it?"

"I don't wanna talk about it." she said annoyed. "Honestly, you're acting like my best friend but I barely know you..." She ranted sounding frustrated.

I shrugged. "Well, what do you want to know?"

She dragged a hand through her hair then looked down at it disgusting.

"Hang on. We'll continue this conversation after I take a shower. I feel gross." She told me.

I jumped up. "Do you need help?" I offered.

She eyed him. "Noooo..." she dragged it out.

I suddenly realized what it had sounded like. "I meant getting up there," I quickly backpedaled, "not actually showering." I finished my cheeks turning burning turning slightly pink.

"Oh! Um yeah if you would help me." she said quietly.

I gathered her in my arms and took her upstairs. I set her down on the bed. "What else can I do?" I offered.

"Go down the hall and the first door on your left is the laundry room. Grab me two of the pink towels."

I left her bedroom to grab the towels.

As I walked in, she dropped her phone onto her pillow. "Here are the towels."

"Great. Just put them in my bathroom." she told me. She sounded kind of bothered but I decided not to ask.

I set the towels down on her sink. "Alright. You good to go?"

She nodded. "Yup."

"Call me if you need anything." And with that I left closing her door behind me.

I went back downstairs and settled on the couch and turned on ESPN.

My phone started ringing. "Yeah?"

"It's Nick. Alice is as it again. There is a ton of flyers."

"Damn. Are you serious? That, that... b**** won't lay off. Thanks for the heads up, Nick."

We said our goodbyes and I hung up.

I checked the time and realized Shaina had been in the shower for awhile.

I ran up the stairs and knocked on her bathroom door. "Shaina? You okay? You've been in there awhile."

"Yeah Matthew, I'm fine!" She hollered back. "I'll be out in a few minutes!"

I left her bedroom and sat at the top of the stairs waiting for her.

After a few minutes, her bedroom door opened and she stood there in a tank top and sweatpants. "Well hello." she greeted.