In Darkness with Love

PUBLISHED. August 30, 2015.

~

Darkness embraced me as I run into the wilderness. I ran as fast as I could without looking back. I don't know where I am going, added the fact that I couldn't see so much of the surroundings. I just have this feeling that I need to get away. Farther. And farther. Until I stumbled and cried on the muddy grass.

"Are you okay?"

I heard a soft whisper. I looked up and searched for the owner of the voice. I realized, it's a man's voice.

"Who are you?" I grunted, wiping my tears away.

"Are you hurt? Why are you crying?" he asked again.

His voice is a melody to my broken heart, a soft angelic voice soothes my pained soul.

I tried to stand but my legs hurt, and I don't know why. Maybe, because of the impact of the fall. I felt warm hands lifted me up and guided me to stand.

"Who... are you?" I managed to whisper.

In an instant, I felt that I am now sitting on a large root of an unknown tree and the stranger is no where near me. I can see him now sitting on a large trunk of a distant tree as the moon shines above him, giving me an opportunity to scrutinize this stranger.

"H-how?" I asked, bemused.

The stranger is wearing an all-white outfit and I sucked in a breath as I realized how breathtakingly handsome he is. He smiled at me, but it slowly faded as the clouds started to hide the moon again. I heard him whisper even from a distance.

"You are so beautiful."

*****

Morning comes and I found myself in my room again. I barely remember how I managed to get home. I only remember running into wilderness, stumbling onto the muddy grass, crying my heart out and meeting a heartbreakingly handsome stranger in white.

"Finally! You're awake!" mom exclaimed as she entered my room without prior notice.

She went into the window and pulled the blinds up, letting the morning sunshine invade my room. I stood and locked myself in the bathroom.

"Just so you know, he's coming to town!" mom yelled.

Then, I heard a loud thud. Sign that she went out of my room already.

Really? They're totally serious about this marriage meeting? How desperate, they are!

Mom and Dad are the town well-known businessmen. They're part of our small city's elite circle. For this town, we are someone to look up for but for the country, we're just a small insignificant dot. And no way will they let us stay that low. They wanted to be a complete sentence. A sentence that matters.

They're desperate enough to sell their own daughter to one of the richest and most influential family in the country. They forced me to marry a rich stranger I've never met before. Cliché, right?

They said, this guy already met me when I was a kid. And I was like:

"So, he's like some of my nursery friends, huh?" I sarcastically commented, one time when they open up this stupid stuff to me.