ONE.

December 1st, 9pm.

* * *

My mobile dinged as I sat down in front of the television.

'Please talk to me, Evie.'

It was Thea again. The message was instantly deleted and my mood sunk even lower. Why couldn't she leave me alone? Wasn't my silence obvious that I didn't want to speak to her? Evidentially not. But then again, Thea had always been a bit dense.

No, stop. Don't think about her now. I told myself.

Bunny meowed inquiringly and jumped onto the sofa beside me. She rubbed her head against my arm, offering me comfort. It was almost as if she knew I were upset. I chuckled softly, rubbing her fuzzy head. She purred.

"Enough sadness," I said out loud.

Bunny jumped off the sofa and butted her head against the sealed cardboard box I'd placed in the centre of the living room. Cooing at her cuteness, I rose.

"Good idea, Bunny. That will cheer us up."

I turned the television on and flipped through the channels. Finally, I landed on a cheesy hallmark Christmas movie that had just started. Those type of movies were my guilty pleasure, even though they were usually cringe inducing. They made me feel warm inside. Plus, they always had a happy ending.

"Let's get some drinks going," I murmured to myself.

I returned to the living room not a minute later with a glass of pink gin and lemonade in hand and crouched down beside the cardboard box. Peeling off the masking tape only made my excitement grow. Once the box was opened a treasure trove of Christmas decorations was revealed. Shiny baubles in bright red, mistletoe green and sparkling silver. Fairy lights in a rainbow of colours, a red and green wreath, a small nativity scene that my nana had gifted me and a variety of Santa Claus figurines. Long reams of tinsel in electric blue, purple and gold assaulted my eyes. My heart sang with joy.

The movie continued to drone on in the background as I stood my Christmas tree up and threw tinsel, fairy lights and a mishmash of baubles on it. It was nothing compared to how my mum decorated. She stuck to a strict colour scheme: usually gold and red or silver and blue. Her tree always looked immaculate, only the best baubles and ornaments went on it. My approach to decorating a tree was more casual.

I took a sip of my drink and turned my attention back to the movie. The protagonist, a pretty blonde, was trying to find a job in time for Christmas, and now the devilishly handsome barista (who may or may not have been Santa Claus in disguise) was bewitching her with eyes like melted honey. But the protagonist was immune to his gaze because she was trying to stay single. Plus her ex-husband kept making trouble.

I snorted and set my now empty glass down. "Girl. He's your ex-husband for a reason."

Of course, the protagonist -- Emma? I think that was her name -- couldn't hear me. Only Bunny meowed her agreement. I poured myself another drink and finished decorating the living room. The nativity scene was placed on the coffee table and I hung the wreath on the front door. The other rooms in the house would be decorated later in the week but at least the living room was done.

The film was reaching it's climax and now the two protagonists were engaged in a fight because he had kept his identity a secret. Emma wasn't happy about that and on top of things her ex-husband had just rang her to say he was still in love with her. I glanced at my mobile and scoffed.

No chance of that happening to me.

The acting wasn't amazing, but it was a hallmark movie, so I wasn't expecting much. As time slipped on I poured myself another drink. Bunny was asleep under the tree and she looked so adorable that my heart clenched with love. I must have been drunker than I thought because my mind was blissfully blank.

In the movie Emma had cast her ex-hubby aside and was kissing disguised-Santa-Claus as if he were the only person in her world. It then fast forwarded to them sharing a bottle of champagne and looking completely in love.

A strange idea popped up in my mind and I pushed myself to my feet. I poured another gin, but this time it wasn't for me. I set the drink down on the mantle piece and grinned to myself.

For Santa Claus. My mind said.

I lay back on the sofa and finished off my own drink. The credits rolled on the movie and the late night news covered my screen. I set my empty glass on the floor and that's the last thing I remember doing.

* * *

I awoke suddenly, my heart beating extremely fast. I felt like I had just emerged from being held underwater. One glance at Bunny told me she was still fast asleep under the tree. The time on my phone said it was nearly two in the morning and another cheesy movie was on the television. I rose and rubbed at my eyes. I gathered up my empty glass and dumped it in the sink. I returned to the living room and that was when I realised something.

The drink I had left out for 'Santa Claus' was empty.

There was no spilt alcohol on the floor, so Bunny hadn't knocked the drink over. Plus the glass was still standing. Had I even poured a drink for Santa, or did I imagine that? How drunk was I? I shook my head, gathered up the glass and went to bed.

I must have forgotten to fill the glass up. That was the only explanation I could think of.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone. It's Hatter here! I know I haven't been posting in ages but I had an idea for a soft Christmas romance months ago and I never got around to actually writing it, so here i am. 

i have a general idea of where this story is going to go, but we shall see! i can't wait.

Thanks,

Hatter.