Where the Heart Lies

~Lizzie~

"You made the right choice, Lizzie. You'll like it here much more than you did in kindergarten." Roger smiled, peeking his head in my new hut.

"Will you stop calling them that? They aren't from kindergarten, if anything you are!" I was growing irritated at everyone for calling Ralph's group 'kindergarten'.

"Whatever. Jack wants you, he's in his den. Go now, it's urgent." He rolled his eyes. I huffed and crawled out of the hut.

"Hey miss. Lizzie, can you braid my hair?" One of the little ones asked, running up to me.

"Well your hair is a bit short, but I guess I can once I finish talking to Jack. Run along kiddo, I'll meet up with you somewhere in a bit." I ruffled his shaggy hair and he flashed me a toothy smile before running off with a couple other boys. I smiled to myself and began walking to Jack's cave, which wasn't far. He wanted me to share his cave with him, but I said no because it would be weird. My hut is the closest to him because he didn't want the other boys to do anything to me. He can pretty much hear everything that happens in my hut when he's outside.

"I need to talk to you." Jack said when I walked into the cave.

"That's why I'm here." I answered.

"We need the hunting knife from Ralph's camp, and I know he wont just give it to us."

"So?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"That's where you come in. I need you to distract Ralph, Simon and Piggy while we get the knife." He explained.

"Why cant you just ask for it?" I rolled my eyes. I didn't want to do something like that to them.

"We already tried that, they wont let us have it."

"Then why cant you just deal with the fact that you cant have it?" I raised my voice.

"Because we need it, and dammit! I get what I fucking want!" He yelled, slamming a stick against the ground for emphasis.

"Really now? Name one thing." I smirked.

"You." He replied simply. "Now, are you in or not?" He asked again.

"Fine." I answered. "I can't believe I'm doing this." I mumbled to myself.

***

"Shhh, everyone be quiet!" Jack whisper-shouted. He turned to me. "You ready?" I nodded. "Make sure you get them as far away from here as you can. To the bathing pool or something, I don't care. Just distract them." I nodded once more before slowly advancing from the bushes and walking towards the few boys that were left in Ralph's group.

"What are you doing here?" Ralph popped up from his sitting postion and walked towards me.

"What, I can't visit you guys?" I scoffed sarcastically.

"Well now that you're apart of Jack's group you can't rea-"

"Ah shut it Piggy!" Ralph snapped. Piggy huffed and wiped his cracked spectacles on his dirty shirt.

"Hey Piggy, how'd you crack your glasses?" I asked, walking over to him.

"Your stupid colleages broke them. Quite a bunch of wild children I'd say." He muttered. I squatted down beside him and pat his back somewhat soothingly.

"Well you don't have to worry about me doing something like that. I may have joined them but that doesn't make me a wild animal like them." I smiled.

"Good, because girls aren't supposed to act like that." He answered.

"Where's Simon?" I asked, getting up and dusting off my knees.