19| Grey Areas

During breakfast

Julian's POV

I followed Bailey into the dimmed hallway as she separated herself from the table. I noticed the faint smile she let on as they all saw our surprise for them, but nothing wider.

If I was being honest, it sucked seeing her like this. Bailey was always the one, aside from me, Ken, or Kayc, to turn any situation to a laughing matter and lighten the mood completely. She just had this impact to make everyone that encountered her filled with glee.

I found that her path led to a bathroom. I leaned my head against it while I heard her soft cries. I knocked softly while biting my lip, feeling a little anxious. "Yes?" She answered softly. 

"Bails, it's Julian." I said quietly. 

"Oh h-hey, Jules! I'll be out in a bit. Just had to take a little bathroom break." She chirped with faux enthusiasm. I could tell it was forced. It wasn't rocket science. She'd been off all morning. Sighing, I pushed myself off the door and waited quietly against the wall beside the bathroom door.

After a couple minutes, Bailey came out patting underneath her eyes and put a purple tube that looked to be some form of makeup back in her purse. "What is that?" I asked calmly, causing her to jump and shoot her hand up over her heart.

She muttered obscenities under her breath while she recovered from the quick scare. "Nothing important." Bailey replied discreetly. I gave her a doubtful look then crossed my arms. "Okay, it's mascara. No harm done."

"There is when you're not being honest with anyone about how you're feeling, Bai." I scolded her. "Who else knows? Besides me." I asked pointedly. She joined me by leaning on the wall beside me, shoulder to shoulder. 

"No one, okay?...And I want to keep it that way. It's not exactly fun to tell my friends, 'Hey, did you know I got cheated on by a guy I fell in love with?'" She exclaimed with a fake smile, having it falter instantly. "Besides, it's fresh. It's not like I suspected it in any way."

"Okay...I get that." I nodded, looking at her. She looked forward with a drained expression. "I know it because I felt it last night. Unlike you, the whole school knows about my suffering but...I think I kind of prefer it that way. I rather have it be out that, yeah, I'm hurt, because now I don't have it pent up inside of me to the point I want to scream." I explained calmly, turning to her.

I wanted her to let go. It's what seemed best. Sure, tears are going to be shed but that's inevitable to avoid. Why not let it out to the people that care about you most then get that comfort in return? She huffed then ran a hand through her hair. 

"Fine, I'll tell them...but on one condition." She announced. "I'm listening." I replied, a small smile making its way to my face. Her head turned to me as she blinked away the glossiness of her eyes. "You have to be there with me. By my side, no other way." She said, putting her index finger on my shoulder.

Her request surprised me, I'd be lying if I said it didn't. But that didn't mean I wasn't thrilled about it. It was nice to have my presence wanted where it was actually needed. Also, beyond that, she was like family. We were always close and bonded quickly.

"Bailey, I want you to be ready. I want it to be announced on your own terms. When your heart says you're ready. If so, we'll be attached at the hip." I said jokingly, but serious. Bailey nodded quickly, understanding fully. 

I opened my arms for a hug, which she smiled at, walking into them without hesitance. Her arms wrapped around my neck while mine went around her waist. We both let out soft sighs. "Thank you, Jules." She said fondly, pulling away slightly. A genuine smile possessed her lips, and mine reflected hers.