9 - HOME AGAIN

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

THE SUN WAS WARM AGAINST ALISSA'S PALE SKIN. Carters car windows were rolled all the way down, the fresh breeze blowing into the vehicle with ease. Music softly hummed through the small speakers, the sound of a young woman's voice filling the empty silence that enveloped the three siblings. Brian was comfortably nestled in the backseat, stretched across the entire section. He had his own headphones stuffed in his ears, blaring his music as loud as possible. Alissa thought of doing the same, but she went against it when seeing a frown etched upon Carter's lips.

"Hey," Alissa voice interrupted Carter's thoughts, "You alright over there?"

He forced a smile onto his lips when stealing a glance at his sister, hoping she wouldn't see past it, but she did. "Always," he shortly replied. Alissa rolled her eyes.

"Okay, Tony Stark," she snipped out, hoping to get a reaction out of Carter. Instead, he just shrugged and continued driving without uttering another word to her. She was a little disappointed that he didn't say anything in response, but maybe that was for the best. She didn't want to get in a fight with him.

Alissa softly sighed to herself, resting her head on the seatbelt strap. It wasn't very comfortable, but with the numerous of thoughts zooming through her invasive mind, she hardly noticed. Of course, Peter popped into the pictures that scattered her brain every so often, a smile casting to her lips when she pictured his smile or heard his laugh in the background. Carter wondered what was going on inside her mind, trying to use the animated movie Inside Out to give him an idea of how things were going on about, but then he figured he might not have wanted to know based on the unusually happy grin plastered on her face.

"Hey, look! Dad's home!" Brian's voice snapped Alissa and Carter's attention back into reality as they neared their home. Alissa leaned forward, eyes nearly doubling in size when seeing the white Range Rover parked in the pebbled driveway.

Alissa stole a glance to Carter, noticing the way his adam's apple moved as he nervously gulped, his vibrant eyes now dimming to a cold shimmer. Alissa bit her lower lip, wincing when Carter parked the car and their father stepped out onto the porch, buff arms folded over his firm chest.

Carter let out a forced laugh, startling his siblings. Alissa noticed how his tone was clipped and a little bitter. "Figures," Carter said, confusing his siblings. He finally looked up, peering from one sibling to the other, almost ashamed. "I do one thing to his car and he notices. How convenient is that? Oh, but Brian gets another first place trophy for hockey, no, he doesn't notice it. Al gets a haircut, doesn't see that other. But I do I 9&3 thing to his car and he sees it. Isn't that fuckin' perfect?"

Alissa deeply frowned. "Y-You don't know that for sure," she tried reassuring Carter. "He might just be home b—"

"Because he wants to spend time with us?" Carter harshly snipped out, a raging fire burning in his cold eyes. Alissa sidedly glanced to Brian, the boys face turned downward. She looked back to Carter, shaking her head. Without another word, she grabbed her bag and climbed out the car. Carter scoffed and threw open his door, Brian clambering out as well, almost scared and excited.