18 - SUPPORT SYSTEM

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

DEATH WAS A CRUEL AND HEARTLESS WOMAN. When life was running smoothly, she'd suddenly swoop and knock someone down in life, taking their life within a blink of an eye without any warnings or signs that their life was about to end. Some people knew their time was coming, and so they would make their last amends and do something they always wanted to do, accepting the fact that death was finally upon them. And then, there were those who didn't know that death was coming to town, and sometimes, neither did she. And she didn't know that she'd be finding herself in the crowded streets of Queen late that night, separating a man and a boy.

"You remember the plan?" Brian asked, barging into Alissa's room, expecting her to be wide awake, but all he found was a teenage girl coddled in a mound of thick blankets, her window wide opened, the cool air rushing in with the breeze. The boy rolled his eyes and headed over, making sure to lock it as he closed it for her. Then he shuffled towards her bed, tiredly rubbing his eyes and yawning. "Hey," he gently shook her, "Al? Wake up."

"Go away," Alissa murmured, dismissively waving her hand. Brian scoffed, climbing onto her bed. Alissa only opened one eye. "Go, B. I need to sleep."

Brian nestled himself beside her, resting on his knees, frowning at her. He didn't say anything. He just stared, hoping it would creep her out enough to fully wake her up and also realize that he wasn't about to go anywhere.

A minute later, Alissa was groaning and forcing herself to sit up, eyes barely opened and turned towards Brian. "What'dya want?" Alissa demanded, sighing and rubbing her eyes.

"Do you remember the plan?" Brian asked again, voice more loud, making Alissa roll her eyes.

"Yes," Alissa nodded, finally pushing the blanket off of her body. Brian raised a brow as Alissa planted her feet on the ground and peered over her shoulder at him. "We both ask our crush's to the park, then we meet them, go our separate ways, pour our hearts to them, and then die because they won't feel the same."

"Well, I don't think it'll go exactly that way," Brian said, voice quieting and a frown appearing on his face.

Alissa sighed and sat on the edge of her bed. "I don't think that'll happen," Alissa clammy stated, clearing her throat. "I'm sure Nate likes you, too."

Brian shrugged and stood up, pushing some curls off of his forehead. Alissa smiled as she passed him, ruffling his hair, earning an annoyed whine and a smack to her hand for her actions. She made a face, pulling her hand away and rubbing it, playfully glaring at Brian when he grinned back.

"I'll text Nate. You'll text Peter?" Brian asked, lingering in the doorway. Alissa took in a shaky breath, nodding. Brian grinned and took a step into the hall, giggling as he spoke before rushing away and straight to his bedroom before Alissa could respond. "Maybe we'll share an anniversary."