Prologue

Long ago, there was a kingdom called Warren, it was very small but in the recent years it had grown in power and was slowly becoming one of the most feared kingdoms in Britain. This was mostly because Warren protected the other kingdoms from the threat of Shadows, monstrous creatures that ruled the night. For centuries, Warren had been fighting the elusive creatures, killing as many as they could. Shadows were hunters and the people of Warren had started to fear that their lives were in danger as the monsters seemed to be hunting them like prey.

But the tides turned when an ancient king led his army against the Prince of Shadows and after a gruelling battle, the king killed the prince and the Shadows fled into the forest. They still were occasionally found in Warren but they were quickly captured and killed.

Shadows were fascinating creatures. They looked and acted like humans and many were able to live among them without being noticed but Shadows could turn into the animal that represented them, any bit of humanity they had seemed to have been consumed by their animalistic nature. It seemed to be genetic, if a child had someone in their family that was a Shadow, the chances are very high of them growing up to become one.

Humans usually find out that they are Shadows during their teen years but it's possible for the animal form to never make an appearance and so they carry on, believing that they are human. They are masters of disguise and can easily trick someone into believing that they are human but there is a way to figure out if it is actually a Shadow. A dagger, believed to have belonged to the Prince of Shadows, will glow when in the presence of one and their animal tattoo on their shoulder will light up. The tattoo exists on every one of those creatures for reasons we don't know.

The creatures may seem like they were myths but Queen Ashia knew that they were very much real but despite knowing this, she was still startled by the sound of shouting. Knights rushed past her room, urging everyone in the palace to lock the doors as a Shadow was seen on the palace ground. She stood up and hurried down the hallway, her long blue dress trailed behind her. She stopped at a dark brown door and slowly opened it.

A young child whipped around, startled at the sudden movement of the door. His blue eyes lit up as he spotted his mother.

"What is happening?"

He squeaked out, his body shook in terror. Ashia locked the door before she raced forward and scooped up her son who burst into tears.

"Shh, shh, it's okay, Talos. It can't get you in here."

She sat down on the large bed adorned with purple blankets. She kept holding the six year old who was nervously peering out at the window.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, your father and his knights will make sure it won't harm you."

His eyes widened.

"But what about Aurora-"

"No one in the palace will be harmed."

She reminded him. He still looked at little doubtful as she gently wiped his tears away before she ruffled his blonde hair.

"I know you probably can't sleep but it's late and you should go to bed."

Talos looked at her hopefully.

"Can you stay with me? And protect me from the monster?"

"Of course."

She leaned against the pillows and tucked Talos under the blankets. She took off her silver crown with blue gems and she set it on the table beside the bed.

"Can you tell me a story?"

Ashia smiled softly.

"Of course, once upon a time there lived a great king whose name was Valour..."

It wasn't long until her son fell fast asleep, she slowly stood up, making sure not to make much of a sound as she moved towards the window where a black owl with large orange eyes was perched. She opened up the window and it flew in, landing on her shoulder and scattering black feathers onto the ground. It nipped at her golden hair in irritation.

"Sorry, little one. I know you were waiting there for quite a long time."

The owl turned its head away from her and she smiled with amusement as it looked like it was pouting.

"Hey, look at me."

It turned its head back towards her.

"I have to leave, you know why. Now, do you remember what I told you?"

The owl bobbed its head and she took that as a yes.

"Good, I know I'm asking a lot from you, if it's ever too much to handle, come and find me."

It trilled happily and flew over to the bedpost and perched there, it fluffed out its feathers abs gazed down at the prince. Ashia took out the dagger she held in her shoes and cut her hand before she walked across the room, allowing blood to drip on the floor. She wiped some against the wall and the windowsill, the owl flew out onto a tree and watched her with interest. She tore at her dress, leaving scraps of cloth, she wiped some blood on the on the pieces before she sat back against the window. She gazed at her son who was still sleeping peacefully.

"Goodbye, Talos."

She turned to look out the window, in the distance she spotted the king, her husband, searching the gardens for any sign of the creature that threatened his family.

"Goodbye, my love. I fear you will never understand but I hope one day you will see that things aren't always as they seem."

She moved until she was at the edge of the window, she wiped the tears away from her eyes.

'It's the only way.'

She thought before she pushed herself out of the window and screamed as she fell towards the ground.
~
Aesthetic of Ashia by CBMokedi

~Aesthetic of Ashia by CBMokedi