Prologue

"Lei, come sit next to me. I want to tell you a story."

"Okay, momma."

Leroy waddled over to her on his stubby little legs and climbed up onto the chair. He cuddled into her side, and she started.

"There once was a brave man. A man that answered to Leiron," She tickled Leroy, and he giggled.

"That man was the hero of a village not to far from here, named Cypra Mundi. He was loved by all the people there. But he had a secret."

She put up her pointer finger and pulled a sheet out of her pocket. "This is the map of the places he explored. To protect the people from dangerous animals, he found their caves, or trees, or wherever else they lived. And those are the red X's.

"But he only killed the savage, meaning, well, mean, ones. The curious one's were the one's that he made friends with. He used the wolves and coyotes to get food, and trained the birds to send messages. He was famous in many villages other than his own because of this, and he got and rich by it."

As she told the story, Leroy got older and older, showing how she told the story to him a lot. By the time he looked twelve, the story ended.

"Okay, I'm pretty tired, Lei. Can you go to your room so I can go to bed?" She asked him.

He rubbed his eyes and said sleepily, "Okay, momma."

But once he got up, he heard a scream. He looked back at his mom and saw someone having her in a choke hold, pulling her toward the door.

"No! Mom! Let go of her!" Leroy ran at the thug, and pulled back. The man pulled a knife from his pocket and was pointing it at him.

"Dad!? Dad where are you?!" He screamed as he scrambled back. His father stepped through the door, but just watched. "Dad! Help, please! MOM! NO!" Thug Man pulled her through the door, and his father didn't even move. "MOM! MOM!!! Mom..."

⪧⋇⋇⋇⪦

I sat up screaming. I had cold sweat all over my body, as I usually do with these dreams. The maid rushed in, and I just rolled over in bed.

"Do you want some water? Are you okay?" She asked me, and I groaned in response. I hate it when I get to much attention. I got up and walked out of my room, pushing her out of the way as I left.

With the sun pouring through the windows, I had to squint to see. Each time I passed one, the sun glared in my eyes.

The castle I live in is huge, but I knew my way around. I got to the kitchen, stole a roll, and walked into the courtyard. This is my favorite place, because my Mother always brought me here. It brang me peace to hear the chirping birds or squirrels.

I sat down on an outdoor chair swing, as I call them, and listened to the animals talk and sing. And scream.

⪧⋇⋇⋇