xxx

This was it, today was the day that Henry was going to say goodbye to the love of his life

This was it, today was the day that Henry was going to say goodbye to the love of his life. Forever. He felt numb as he got dressed in a tux, he needed Rhodey's help to tie his tie. It was reminiscent of what happened on Henry and Tony's wedding day but they weren't starting a life together, they were ending one. His house was crowded with guests, Henry knew they weren't their him but he just wished that he could have one moment of peace.

Henry took a shuddering breath as he looked at himself in the mirror one last time, he turned on his heels and started to walk towards the door. "Hi Hen, I was just about to come and find you." Pepper said in a soft voice that made Henry feel like he was a scared child, he nodded stiffly as he shut the bedroom door behind him. "It's time to watch what he left on the helmet." Henry sighs as he nods and walks next to Pepper down the stairs, they had discovered the helmet a couple of days ago after IAN had alerted Henry that something was on the drive and Henry took a look but he had to turn it off quickly because he knew exactly what it was without needing to watch anymore.

He kept his head ignoring the pitying looks that the other Avengers sent him, he didn't need to see it. They were the reason Tony died, logically Henry knows that Tony would've gone if they hadn't asked for his help as soon as he got wind of it but Henry can't help but think that it would be a little better if Tony had no idea. Henry walked towards the couch and took a seat, Happy sat next to him and Morgan looked at Henry scared. She was confused and Henry couldn't blame her, they went from having a quiet and happy life to their house packed with people that are crying. "It's okay my love." Henry gestured for her to sit next to him, she silently climbed up on the couch and nestled herself between Henry and the couch.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y, please play the message." Henry's voice cracked as he told the AI, it was silent as a view of Tony sitting backward on a chair, Henry took a shuddering breath. They all watched as Tony hummed before he started to speak. "Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn't always roll the way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back it's in celebration, I hope families are reunited, I hope we get it back. And something like a normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing. God, what a world. Universe, now. If you told me 10 years ago that we weren't alone, let alone to this extent, I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised but come on, who knew? The epic forces of darkness and light that have come into play. And for better or worse that's the reality Morgan's gonna have to find a way to grow up in. So I thought I better record a little greeting in the case of an untimely death. On my part."

Henry looked and sniffled, he knew that Tony was right because how could he deny what Tony was here in front of him saying? He was solely responsible for Morgan now, he had to be the father she deserves, for Tony. "Not that death at any time isn't untimely. This time travel thing that we're gonna try and pull off tomorrow it's got me scratching my head about the survivability of it all, I do not doubt if Henry was here he would've solved it already. Then again, that's the hero gig, right? And I don't want him in that because part of the journey is the end." Henry's lip trembled as he felt Morgan shuffle beside him and propped her head against his arm, he felt her little hand slip into his and he couldn't help but squeeze.

They watched as Tony stood up from the chair and started to walk towards the table that the helmet was resting on. "What am I even tripping for? Everything is gonna work out exactly the way it's supposed to." They watched as Tony bent down to turn off his side of the helmet when he looked straight at Henry and Morgan, it was like he was still here and it made Henry shiver slightly but he reached up and started to rub Morgan's arm. "I love you 3,000." And then slowly Tony flickered away making Henry's heartache, he gasped slightly before he closed his eyes.

He wanted it to be over but he knew what was next without being told, he slowly stood up and grabbed Morgan's hand when she stood up as well. One of Henry's conditions was that he didn't force Morgan to do this, Henry would do this alone but he wasn't going to deny his daughter this if she wanted to go along.

The guests parted so Henry could make his way towards the back patio, Pepper handed him the wreath with tears in her eyes, it looked like Henry wasn't the only one who was trying to not cry. Henry and Morgan slowly walked down the stairs towards the pier, Henry tried to not focus on the number of eyes that were on him from the guests. He let out a slow breath as he got down to the edge of the pier and dropped it in the lake. He squatted down and brought Morgan into a hug with a kiss on her temple.

Once again Henry and Tony were separated, but unlike the first time Henry couldn't get him back no matter how much Henry wanted to see Tony again. How much he wanted to kiss him and tell him how much he loved him, Henry swiped the tear away from his face before Morgan could see.

"I love you 3,000," Henry whispered into the wind. His brow furrowed when he sensed a sudden gust of wind briefly fly against his cheek. He closed his eyes, it felt like Tony was sending him a message from wherever he was. For a split second, Henry felt at ease knowing Tony was happy because that was all he ever wanted for him.

Happiness.

NOTES:

I'm actually ill, tears were shed.

As I was writing this I was also watching the movie so I could copy the dialogue, and my god that hurt. Don't recommend :)Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed reading The One That Got Away.