7

The months since Atua's birthday had flown by quickly. She was surprised at how busy she had become between working for her father and doing shows under her company. At first they were small, birthday parties and smaller job events here and there. Between word of mouth and hard work she had gotten many celebrity invites for music videos, house parties or even club events. The more jobs she took on the more she felt an internal pull. She felt like she had been missing something, a part of herself she had forgotten,something important. What hurt was when she asked her father about it and he gave her a knowing look but couldn't bring himself to tell her what was wrong with her.

Though she made sure to show up for work and did her job it had been two months since she had a normal conversation with her father and it was hurting both of them. Right now Atua was a lake site in Montana. Normally they do oceanic preservation and rescue but the tribe had reached out to Kaitiaki directly for his help. Her father was busy on another call so she was sent instead. "So this lake is our clean water source but lately folks have been complaining that the water tastes different." the woman informed Atua. Atua nodded as she took in the information and the woman's appearance. Flawless chocolate skin, natural curly hair in thick twist and hauntingly green eyes.

"Well Morgan, from what you told me it sounds like the lake was contaminated somehow." Atua replied and Morgan pouted. "That's what our leader, Hele, thought but when we couldn't detect anything he reached out to your dad." Morgan replied."Infect he said you may need this!" she added before handing Atua two different water bottles. Atua raised a brow before it clicked,"a before and after sample?" she asked to clarify and Morgan nodded. Atua took the first bottle handed to her and wafted it before taking a sip. "Oh dear gods that's crisp." she nearly moaned as she finished her gulp. "I feel the disappointment coming." she added as she wafted and drank from the second bottle. Atua spit out the water and handed the bottle back.

Morgan handed the first bottle back and Atua chugged it. "What the fu-" Atua bit her tongue to not curse as a group of children ran up to her. "You're the mermaid!" the little girl screamed as the other children nodded. "The what?" Morgan asked, confused. "She's the mermaid lady we watch!" one of the little boys replied. "I'm gunna be a beaauuutiful pink and gold mermaid when I grow up!" another girl replied as she twirled around in her muddied tutu. "What is going on here?" a man asked as he walked up. " Xavier this is Atua from Olesami Marine Preserve. She's here to help with the lake contamination issue." Morgan introduced them to one another.

"Atua, this is my ma-tch made in heaven, Xavier. He's also the second in command under Hele." Morgan added. Atua raised a brow at Morgan's stutter but let it slide. "Pleasure to meet you." Atua said with a head nod. Xavier nodded back. I see my kids are enamored with you. Anyone care to fill me in?" Xavier joked looking at the kids. "She's Midnight Syren!" the first girl squealed. "Ah so you're the reason I girls want silicone mermaid tails!" Xavier said with a deep sigh. Atua burst out laughing as Morgan punched Xavier in the arm. "Tell you what, call me when you put in the order and I'll see if I can help." Atua said with a giggle as she handed Morgan her card.

"Wait, aren't you performing at the Ariki Preserve this Saturday?" Xavier asked, still rubbing his arm. At this the children started screaming with joy and asking to go. Morgan managed to rally the kids and pull them away with a promise to try and get to the show. "Sorry about that. I met Tupu and Pule when they first started their new lives. Kids grew up knowing them as their uncles and have been into mermaids ever since."Xavier said with a shy smile. Atua nodded, "Nonsense, kids remind me of the energy I used to have." Atua replied with a smile.

"Well we figure this problem out, the faster we get out of your hair. We are taking the kids though, it's a surprise so when they see you, I apologize." Xavier said with a laugh and Atua laughed with him. "Right well then perhaps you can introduce me to the owners? Apparently they're super elusive but their work is quite amazing, I'd like to meet them." Atua asked with hope, lacing her voice. "You can solve this on the first try, you have a deal. No offence but our community is suffering." Xavier said with a sad shrug. Atua nodded, "I understand. And If you don't get help it's not like the government gives a shit." she said with an eye roll.