- five

"Melanie how do you get away with these things?" Cedric guffawed as Melanie scooped another mouthful of trifle into her mouth. "Ah, now Mr Diggory -" Melanie mumbled in between mouthfuls. "a magician never reveals their secrets."

"You are aware of the irony in that statement right?" Cedric snorted as he pulled apart a pastry, the flakes falling onto his robes. "Oh completely." She grinned. "Now give me some of that croissant." "Get your own." Cedric swatted away Melanie's hand and the girl pouted before indeed snagging a pastry of his own. Cedric marvelled at the girls spontaneity and the sheer beauty of her life force. Once they had left the bathroom Melanie had led Cedric through a back passage that he had never seen before. It was quite small - Cedric had to make sure to duck his head - which led him to assume the passage way was used by the elves. The passage led directly to the kitchen and that was where the two had remained undisturbed for half an hour now.

"You know I've never taken anyone here before." She said softly, staring down at her pastry. Cedric's heart swelled at her words and he leaned forward, his knee lightly touching hers. "Not even Angelia?" Melanie shook her head. "I liked having my own private space just to be me. I know that might sounds silly but -"

"No." Cedric shook his head. "It doesn't at all. It just doesn't really explain why you took me here." Melanie placed her pastry in her lap and looked up at the boy, shaking the flakes from her hands. "You just looked like you could do with a space to be yourself too." "I don't understand."

Sighing, Melanie tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and Cedric resisted the urge to giggle as the lock immediately fell back into her face. Huffing, she took a hair tie from her wrist and haphazardly tugged her hair back while Cedric waited for her to elaborate. "You just seem a little stressed." "You barely know me." Cedric retorted light heartedly, shaking his head. "Granted." Melanie agreed, pointed her finger at him. "But you didn't say I was wrong."

"No." Cedric pondered. "I - I don't suppose I did." The raven haired girl was utterly correct in her assumptions. He was stressed almost at a constant. He wanted so badly to be the perfect son for his father and someone that his mother would be proud of if she were still here today, but as the years went on it seemed to get harder and harder. Melanie noticed his attention drifting as he fell deep into thought. "You don't have to tell me anything Cedric. As you said, I barely know you. I just want you to know that you have a place to come if you ever need to just have a little time to yourself."

"No no I know. I -" Cedric began very flustered. He did barely know Melanie but there was just something about her personality that just made him feel so at ease, as if he could tell her anything and she wouldn't judge. He wasn't quite sure if it was because she held so many troubles of her own, on her own that she knew how truly lonely a person could be even when surrounded by many. But in that moment, looking in her eyes, Cedric Diggory knew that he wouldn't be alone as long as he had Melanie Hallows.

"I guess I just don't want to disappoint people." Cedric mumbled, feeling rather embarrassed to say it out loud. "People are inherently disappointed Cedric. They expect too much and give to little. Don't live your life how you think others want you to." Melanie revealed, suddenly lost in her pastry. "You say that as if you speak from experience." He pried cautiously. He has witnessed earlier how quickly Melanie could close off, and he didn't want to ruin this encounter. She shrugged, not angered by the assumption. "Maybe I do, maybe I don't." She responded ambiguously, once again flashing that million dollar smile at him. "But we're not talking about me." "That's not the point."

"Oh on the contrary Mr Diggory." Melanie teased, shifting her position so she was closer to Cedric, as if she were a child about to tell him a secret. "That's completely the point. I wasn't kidding when I said I see things that others don't. I see the forced smile you flash your friends, the constant need to be the typical bubbly popular boy. You're always planning one step ahead Cedric. What you're going to do or say next and you don't need to."

"Melanie -"

"No I mean it Cedric. I know I've not known you that long, but in that time I've witnessed you blush, I've seen you be speechless. I've seen you be you Cedric. And I don't exactly know why you've chosen me to show that side to, but it is so beautiful Cedric. You put so much pressure on yourself because you fear what would happen if you just let go. But it's okay to let go. It's okay to just be yourself." Her words tumbled out at immense speed, as if she feared she didn't have enough time to say them all. She spoke with such passion and determination that Cedric was placed in utter awe at her.

"Melanie." He repeated softly, suddenly aware of how close his face was to her. Her cheeks had slightly reddened and her eyes held a drop of sadness that Cedric couldn't find the reason for, and yet it tore at his heart strings all the same. "I don't know how you can see all these things in such a small space of time. But you're right." "I always am Mr Diggory." She cooed, her dusty pink lips pulling upwards into a smile that Cedric couldn't take his eyes off.

"I'm just so used to it. I want to make my parents happy. I don't want to let them down. I'm all my father has now." He spoke softly, and Melanie watched as he tried hard to blink back the tears that were pooling in his eyes. He looked down in shame, and Melanie reached out slowly and cupped his cheek, raising his head once more. "Cedric your parents are so so lucky to have you as their son. You are your Father's pride and joy and your Mother is never truly gone Cedric, she will always be with you in here." She told him, dropping her hand from his face and touching his chest lightly. It was a well known fact that Mrs Diggory had passed away many years ago, and looking at him now she could see the pain that Cedric held because of it.

"Thank you Melanie." He utterly sincerely, swiftly wiping away the few rogue tears that had tumbled down his cheeks. "I didn't intend for you to hear me yap like a fool."

"You and I both know I've done most of the talking. It's a bad habit." Melanie chuckled. "Mother always said girls should be seen at not heard."

"Well no disrespect intended, but I don't agree with your mother." "Not many people do." Melanie rolled her eyes and waved her hand dismissively. "But enough about her, and enough of this sadness. I just want you to know Cedric that no matter what you can always come to me. Never be afraid to speak to me about anything, I know we may not know each other very well but still."

"I hope to change that." Cedric whispered. "If that's okay with you."

Melanie smiled. "That's perfectly okay with me."