Chapter 25: We Had To End It

Steve's P.O.V

It's funny isn't it? One night you're laying in bed with someone who loves you. One night you're confessing and spilling your love to someone. Someone who says they love you as well. But in a snap of a minute, reality comes back and you're left with no explanation of what just happened. It's like you're living in a dream. And then wake up. How is it that we can lose, something so pure and special to us? Why is it that we're too afraid to believe people after we see a problem with them or ourselves? Love. Is a poison.

I walked into Buck's. I sat down on the stool. Buck came up to me.

"What's wrong man?" He asked.

"Me and my lover came to an end. I didn't want that. But I guess she did." I said. He handed me some shots and sat down listening.

"Sleepless nights have only begun. Swear I thought she was the one. The girl of my dreams. All my nightmares came to ruin my life. Mercy had no time and time had no mercy on me. I feel so dumb thinking one day she could be my wife. Never thought she would lie. When she said she loved me.." I laughed.

"Nothing can bring me back to life. After she left me to die. On my way home. Love and lies shine so bright. Cause they both made me blind. And I crashed as I looked away." I said as I took some shots.

"Wow Steve. Since when did you become so poetic?" He asked.

"Since she lied and said she loved me. Breaking me." I said.

I sighed. This isn't me.

I don't do 'getting drunk when the girl I like dumps me'

I don't do 'meating my girlfriends family'

And yet I felt so sure about this.

I felt like she was the one. Because she was the one. She brought me down to earth. She made me feel things that I'd never felt before. I became a better man for her. I sighed. It was time to go home...

————————————

I leaned on the door after I closed it. Thunder rumbling throughout the house. There was a quick knock on the door. I rushed to open it. And to my surprise it was Elena. Soaked in water.

"Steve. I finally found you." She said. I looked down.

"Look, I talked to my grandparents-."

"I get it Elena. You don't want me to be with you anymore. It's all good." I said.

"Wait. What?" She asked. "That's not what I-."

"Elena. Trust me. It's okay. I understand. Family is family. And to be frank, it hurt me. But it's okay. I'm out." I said.

"Steve I didn't want you there because I couldn't bare you getting insulted by them. Steve. I can't hear them saying all these horrible things to you. They don't know that what we have is pure." She said. Beginning to cry.

"Elena. It's fine. I get it." I said.

"Steve. Please. Baby. I would never leave you because of my family." She said. I sighed.

And just closed the door on her. As simple as that.

I walked up the stairs and to my room. Turning the radio on as I walked by.

"So that's it?" I hear a soft, yet loud voice. I turned my head. It was mom. "So you're telling me you're running away the minute things get hard. Or over a misunderstanding?"

"She doesn't love me mom-."

"If she didn't love you Steve, she wouldn't have come all the way here in the middle of a storm. She wouldn't go around town crazy trying to find you. And you insist she doesn't love you?" She questioned.

"She told me to leave-."

"Did she defend you?"

"She said she did."

She looked at me.

"I don't know mom okay? She said she wanted me to leave and that she was sorry. I'm guessing that means 'hey, I'm sorry for wasting your time on me, I enjoyed being with you but it's over now'" I said.

"And you're sure she's not apologizing about her family insulting you?"

She scoffed.

"She's crazy about you Steve. And frankly, so are you. Sweetheart. You see things in black and white. Elena doesn't. She sees things in color. You need a spoonful of that. She's the one." Mom said. Thunder and lightning striked through the sky, giving the sky a tint sight of light during the dark night. She turned around and turned the lights off. Closing the door behind her.

"Take my breath away" began playing. I sighed. This was the song we first danced to at prom.

I took out a notepad and a pen and began writing.

"Same bed but it feels just a bit bigger now." I wrote. Remembering that time we both fell asleep while studying.

"Our song on the radio but it don't sound the same. When i hear your voice all it does is just tears me down. Cause my heart breaks a little when I hear your voice, name. I should've brought you flowers. And held your hand. Should've give you all my hours when I had the chance. Take you to every party cause all you wanted to do was dance. Now you're gonna dance with another man." I sighed.

And closed the notebook. Getting under the covers and closing my eyes.

It was gonna be a long night. And I couldn't imagine what Elena could be doing now.

———————————————

Cuco's song, "We Had To End It" Inspired the title and part of this chapter.

Lyrics from the song "When I was Your Man" By Bruno Mars are also written in here as well.