chapter 23

august 1989

their relationship hadn't progressed a bit since their last fight. richie had really tried to explain himself to eddie after he found out about richie cheating on him with gretta (which was a pretty downgrade) and even though richie wanted eddie to forgive him; he found his reaction pretty understandable.

so, yeah. him and eddie didn't talk anymore: eddie rejected all of his calls, he never answered at the door... eddie didn't even show up when they we're hanging out with the losers club so he could avoid him.

it was all fucked up.

until the clown came back and forced them to be united again; except it wasn't the way they planned.

"richie." bill said running towards him.

richie was focused on the screen of the videogame inside the arcade: where he had spent most of his summer time since eddie broke up with him.

"what do you want?" richie said hitting the buttons with anger. he was obviously playing street fighter. "see that guy i'm hitting? i'm pretending it's eddie."

"w-what the hell-?" bill asked trying to control his stutter after running from his house to the arcade. "you kno-ow you would ne-never do that."

silence ruled again until richie finally talked again.

"fuck. you're right." he muttered.

bill was completely red and was starting to sweat; so he decided just to say it without hesitation.

"I-It got Beverly."

"what are you talking about?" richie asked continuing with the game.

"It, richie." bill repeated. "It got Beverly."

suddenly, richie stopped playing and the screen of the game, followed by a decreasing sound, told them richie had lost the virtual fight.
he finally turned his eyes back from the videogame to Bill.

"fuck me gently with a chainsaw." richie said before running out of the arcade with bill.

//

so it was finally it: richie and eddie seeing themselves after two weeks without talking to each other. the perfect situation to save one of their best friend's life.

"are we gonna get in or-" stanley said standing in front of the creepy house in neibolt street.

the losers club were completely sure after the last fight against pennywise that he lived in there; more specifically inside the well in the basement.

"i don't think this is a good idea..." mike confessed.

"do you want beverly to die, mike?" ben asked him raising his voice.

ben sounded extremely annoyed by mike's comment so he just shook his head silently.

"chill out, hanscom." richie warned him.

"oh, you aren't the one to say that, trashmouth." eddie finally talked.

richie looked at him on the opposite side of the line they had made and glared at him. it was the first time in nearly fifteen days he had said anything to him and wasn't going to lose the opportunity.

the richie of last week would probably have begged eddie to forgive him again or would've tried to be nice at him so they could get back together but after all that time without eddie by his side, he realized he had maybe been wrong all this time and he was exaggerating. his sadness had become anger with a surprisingly speed.