9: What Comes Next?

The sun's warm rays rested on the king and his servant as birds chirped gleefully in their nests. Merlin's eyelids fluttered open, and he nearly jumped back in surprise when he was greeted with a mop of blonde hair and a nose nearly touching his own. It took him a moment to gather his memories, and once he did, he gently tried to pry the king's arms off of his waist. Merlin couldn't deny that he enjoyed the soft warmth radiating off the embrace, but he shook his head and stopped the smile that dared to creep onto his face. He had more important things to worry about.

Unfortunately, despite the Royal Prat not being an early bird, he was a fairly light sleeper and stirred as Merlin shoved his arms from his body. Arthur opened his eyes and blinked a few times, getting a hold of his surroundings. He frowned as he saw Merlin standing above him, gathering their supplies and packing them back into his satchel. "Just where do you think you're going?" Arthur attempted a Gaius Eyebrow™, but it was nowhere near as effective.

However, due to his grogginess and preoccupied thoughts, Merlin had a temporary lapse in concentration which the truth spell used to its advantage and took control. "I'm going to fight Morgana." Eyes widening and hand clasping over his mouth, Merlin stared at the king before picking up his bag and attempting to run away.

Arthur leaped up and chased him down, grabbing the servant's arm harshly. "What are you talking about?"

"I..." Merlin didn't want to say anything more, but the spell made his stomach churn and forced the words out of his mouth. "I am leaving to battle Morgana, and I'm doing it alone. Only I can defeat her." He shut his eyes, hopelessly wishing he could just crumple into a ball and disappear.

"That's insanity, Merlin!" Arthur let out a sharp laugh, "How do you expect to kill her? With what weapon?" 

Merlin tasted blood as he bit his lip hard to stop himself from releasing the largest secret he's ever had. But Morgana's spell was too powerful.

"With magic."

The air grew tenser for a beat, but Arthur shook his head. "This isn't a time for jokes, Merlin." 

Merlin lowered his eyes and formed a pained expression. "You know I can't lie," he whispered defeatedly. 

Not even a bird dared to make a sound. An audible sharp intake of breath was the only reply Merlin received for some time. After a long moment, he dared to glance up at the man who would decide his fate. When their eyes met, Arthur's were full of confusion and anger, and Merlin's were full of fear and sadness. 

Arthur was taken aback by the look on the sorceror's face. It resembled that of a deer, when it first notices the weapon aimed at it, frozen in fear and waiting mournfully for the hunter to make a move. Even in Arthur's anger, it still made his heart break to see the expression on the man who had been at his side for years, the man who had been his closest and only confidant, the man who he thought of as his best friend, even if he'd never admit it. 

Now, how was he supposed to trust this man? He wasn't even a man, he was a sorceror. A creature his father had taught him to hate, a creature his father claimed to be a monster. But looking into Merlin's pained eyes, he could see no monster. Memories flashed before his eyes, of all the times he witnessed Merlin risk his life for the king. There was no way Merlin could be evil, was there?

"I'm sorry, Arthur. I swear, I have never used my magic to harm you or Camelot. You can do what you please-- burn, behead, or hang me, or anything else you can come up with-- but please, just let me finish this task and bring some well deserved peace." Merlin's voice was shaky and a tear dribbled down his cheek, but his pleading eyes gleamed with determination.