Chapter 2: Playground

If you had just been exposed to the outside world, on or against your own free will, what might you think?

Would your immediate instinct to be to curl up into a foetal position on the ground, waiting for Mother Nature to take you under the soil and keep you safe in her arms til the end of time?

Or would curiosity take over? Would you find interest in these new discoveries you were to come across?

Would you revel in such an opportunity?

~

"Careful little lady, can't have you slipping and hurting yourself on us," Matt whispered in a comforting voice, watching as the girl carefully lowered herself from the window they were sneaking out of while Mello stood to the side, waiting impatiently.
Rosary nearly slipped on her way down, and Matt was quick to steady her with his hands to her sides, helping her down onto the ground before patting her head endearingly.

"You ever been out here before?" The red head asked, the girl shaking her head as the three of them began walking out to the playground.
"...not since I was very small...but I don't really remember that far back. Not that I like to..." she explained, trailing off toward the end.
Matt immediately understood what she was getting at, they were orphans after all, and decided not to push the subject.
"I won't make you, we all got reasons to be here, and I don't think a single one of us is happy to be in such a situation," Matt sighed, his eyes returning to his muted game-boy as they continued to walk.
"...I'm only still here because I'm a prime possible successor to my brother."

When Rosary said that, Mello's head whipped around and a stunned look decorated his face. The girl stopped when he did, a nervous look in her eyes as the blonde approached her and got rather close.

"What did you just say?" He asked, very unaware of what personal space was.
"...I-I'm a prime possible successor to my brother?" she repeated with an unsure tone in her voice, Mello's big blue eyes widening with confusion.
"As in L?"
"...yes?" She answered, not really knowing what the big deal was.

The boy blinked a few times, still very much in Rosary's face, as he tried to process the information he'd just received.

"Why's it such a big deal dude?" Matt asked, looking up from his console with a face of disapproval, "and you know she needs personal space too, right?"

Mello made a noise in the back of his throat before taking a step back, and he stayed staring for a moment longer. With a soft grunt, he spun around and began walking once more, leaving Rosary confused as Matt patted her shoulder gently while she hugged her doll tighter.

"Hey, don't worry about him. He's just a weirdo," Matt reassured her, the girl nodding as they followed the blonde to the playground.

"So, you're really L's little sister?" Matt asked, Rosary nodding shyly as she hugged her doll a little tighter, "wow, that's so cool. What's he like?"
"...like any other good big brother. He taught me everything I know...and he's really good at piano," she explained, piquing Matt's interest as he let his hands fall to his sides.
"Piano? I didn't think him the musical type, since I'd imagine he'd have his hands way too full with cases and stuff," Matt marvelled, Rosary sighing with a smile as her shoulders became loose.
"Not many do, though it's understandable, it's not like he's ever done a recital or anything, he's too shy. But he does make time for his piano," she explained, the red-head nodding as he fiddled with the buttons of his console.
"I guess we all have secrets."

Not a moment too soon, they arrived to the playground equipment, Rosary placing Juniper upon one of the platforms before she approached one of the swings and sat in it. She began swaying her legs ever so slightly, though what came to startle her was the fact that Mello had joined her on the swing-set, taking the place beside her while Matt came up behind her.