Chapter One

Asher hurt. His body, his mind, his heart and especially his soul.

After he had told Luna and Shadow about what happened he went straight to Barrett's room so that he could take in his intoxicating scent again and so that he could cry in peace, away from everyone.

He barely got the words out, explaining that he and Barrett were mates, before Mehdi appeared so close to them, laughing, like he knew what Asher was going to say.

Asher would never forget the feeling of confusion and surprise when he had seen the man standing there, for he wasn't really paying too much attention to his surroundings. He was even turning around to tell him to go away, angry that someone was interrupting him when he was finally going to tell Barrett everything.

The anger that fills him currently only adds to his sadness and helplessness. He didn't know who the man was until it was too late. He was unable to protect the man he had been gifted with by Jaiyana.

Barrett had whispered the man's name as he gazed at him, his face full of agonizing fear as he was rooted to the spot he was standing in. Then he was gone, they were both gone.

More tears fell from Asher's eyes as he went over the scene again, his chest physically hurt as he sucked in a deep breath.

"Why?" He whimpered, his eyes closing, hating how his voice cracks.

"Asher? Can I come in?" Ignoring Gheorgie, Asher turns his body around, stuffing his face with the pillow and trying to keep his sobs quiet, hoping that the man would just go away and leave him alone.

If Gheorgie saw the way he was acting he'd become suspicious about his behavior.

Asher had planned to tell him that not only was he gay but the elf was his mate, but that all went out of the door when Barrett was taken, he had wanted to tell him with Barrett by his side.

"I'm coming in, boy." Gheorgie mumbles just as he opens the bedroom door, a sad frown on his face when he sees Asher curled up on the bed, turned away from him, his body shaking.

While Luna was busy with organizing things with Shadow and his team of betas she sent Georgie to go find and talk to Asher, she didn't want him to be alone. At first he had gone to Asher's room but when his scent was faint he followed it to the room that the elf had been given. He thought it was strange when their scents were both strong and mingled together in the room.

Letting out a sigh, Gheorgie closes the door and makes his way over to the bed, sitting down beside him, with his back against the headboard.

For a while they stayed that way, Gheorgie silent and thinking while Asher slowly calmed himself down, his eyes aching from all the crying he had been doing.

"The two of you were close." Gheorgie states, still trying to understand the situation between the two. I mean, Asher had even disobeyed him over the elf.

Asher made a noise, kind of like a grunt. Taking that as his answer Gheorgie sighs and gets comfortable, crossing his arms over his wide chest.

He was worried about Asher. He had never seen the man act like this, not even when he was a boy and it was scaring him.

While he was struggling to grasp Asher's sadness he let his own sink in. He knew that no one forgave him for what he had done nor did he blame them. He let his power overtake everything and let it get out of hand. After he was told he would be demoted he decided that he was going to work on gaining the kids trust back, they were his kids after all, they were the only reason he was still living.

Gheorgies mind came back to him when he felt Asher move beside him. Hoping that this was progress he kept his eyes closed and his breathing even as he waited.

"You love me, right?" Asher mumbles, still unable to look at the man he thought of as a father, his eyes glued to the ceiling above him, his heart speeding up as fear settled within him.

"Forever and always." Gheorgie didn't hesitate though he was a bit confused by the question, and a bit caught off guard if he was honest.

"No matter what?" He whispers, closing his eyes, trying to postpone telling him what he was making himself say.

"Asher, I love you unconditionally. Now what is this about?" He was now facing Asher, his confusion clear on his face as he watched Asher tense up and take a deep breath.

"Barrettismymate." He rushes as his hands tighten their hold on the blankets he was grasping, his face looking pained.

"What?" Gheorgie asks, not having understood a word of what Asher had just said.

"Barrett is my mate." He says slower, enjoying the sound of the words and the feeling of butterflies filling in his stomach as he imagines the elfs face in his head gazing back at him.

"Asher." Gheorgie shakes his head, his heart hurting.

"Im so sorry!" Asher jumps to his knees, hands still holding the blankets as he pleads to the older man who watches him with an incredulous look on his face. "It's not my fault! Please don't hate me!" He's sobbing again, his chest tight.

"I am not angry about you having a male mate, Asher. I am angry that you thought I wouldn't love you because of it." Gheorgie's face was contorted, almost looking as if he couldn't breathe as he gazed at the man he raised. Jaiyana had paired him with a man then so what? Who was he to tell her how to do her job?

"You aren't mad?" Asher whispers, his hands letting go of the blankets that were grasped within them, his body weakening as he slumps onto his bottom, eyes shining as they gazed at his father.

"No."

"You don't hate me?"

"Never."

Asher chokes, a noise between a sob and a sigh leaving him as he throws his tired body at Gheorgie who just holds him, their arms wrapped around each other, one trying to give all the comfort that they can and the other soaking it up.

"I knew something was different." Asher blabs, finally letting his thoughts and feelings loose to the man now that he didn't feel as if he had to hide it all anymore.

"I just didn't understand! He had told me that he had a mate already so I figured that I was just growing attached, but then Luna told me that we were and I was so happy!" He sucks in a breath, stopping himself from spiralling into a sobbing mess again.

"Luna and Shadow are talking about the best way to move forwards. We are all upset, many people have grown accustomed to the elf." Gheorgie mumbles the last part, remembering what he had done to the poor man. He knew the second that they found him he had to apologize. He let his emotions overtake his sense and didn't see that the man had been very willing to help them in their search for his daughter. He had to be found so that he could thank him.

"I'm sorry that i'm not being of more help." Asher sniffs, his eyes shut tight. He should be down there right now, it was his job as Luna's first command and that always comes first.

"You're fine, Ash." Gheorgie pauses, thinking of how he was going to word what he was about to say. "Don't place work and duty over the ones you love and care for. Let the people around you take care of everything while you're unable to think straight, it will keep things in order. Stop mistakes from being made." Gheorgie whispers the last sentence and Asher tightens his arms around the older man. Accepting his apology, for that was what that truly was.