forty five | recover

•

THE PAIN IS EVERYWHERE.

Every inch of her body aches, which is also an indicator that she's alive, because death can't be this painful. She needs to make an effort to breathe because it aches whenever her lungs touch her ribs. She feels as though she's hangover because of the headache. Then, she feels the move inside...something is moving. Her baby. Is she alive? How is she? She wants to open her eyes and asks all the questions, but she's drained.

The sounds in the background start to catch up with her senses. She hears the beep sound of the machines, smells the unique scent of hospitals, and feels the bedsheets underneath. Then, voices kick in. They aren't coherent, but they are there. She tries to gather up her energy, but it's like something is pulling her into a dark hole. When she forces herself to pay attention, she starts to make some words out of the incoherent voices: Is she awake? She's moving.

Then, she feels the tip of her index finger. Moves it several times to make sure it's there. Being in control of your body is a luxury. If only she could know her baby's condition. Is Santi here? Does he know the accident? Maybe he's keeping his promise. What if Madison succeeded? Questions, questions, questions.

"Gail, do you hear me?" Melanie.

She wants to say yes, but she can't open her mouth. Mel's warm hand meets her cold, and she shivers. Melanie feels it, too. "She's reacting," she tells someone with a cheerful tone, "she's back."

"Baby," her mother says. Her voice embraces her into a safe haven, and she wants to hug her. "You both are fine. She's not harmed, Gail, this is a miracle—" She's talking too fast that Gail has a tough time catching up. She's a miracle. She believes her baby's miracle saved her, too. There is no other explanation that she survived that accident. She vividly remembers the airbags popping out and the car crash. Madison is the last thing she hears before she goes unconscious. Yet she's alive no matter how hard she tried. This is a miracle.