chapter forty

season one ; episode ten { The Phantom }
chapter forty

BROOKLYN, KIARA AND JJ arrived at JJ's house for him to get the keys to The Phantom so John B could get off this island

BROOKLYN, KIARA AND JJ arrived at JJ's house for him to get the keys to The Phantom so John B could get off this island. Kiara was sat in the back while the couple sat in the front seats with Brooklyn driving which was not a good idea when she was this stressed out for a number of reasons and was attempted to just crash the car.

Brooklyn pulled up and JJ was first to look out the window. He softly said, "Home sweet home."

"I'm coming with you." Brooklyn told him, pulling her foot off the brake. "No arguments."

"Are you sure? This will only take a second."

"I'm with coming with you, okay?" He just nodded and watched her climb out of the car with him. He knew that if he fought her on this he would only lose. Kiara stayed in the car, watching the couple wonder off inside the house.

The two walked in, looking around at the state that had been created. Plates and dishes not washed and still in the sink. Cans and bottles covered the floor as well as empty pill bottles. It was almost as bad as the Château.

"Dad?" JJ called as the shut the door behind them. JJ glanced over at Brooklyn and she reached down to take her hand. He dragged her through the house after not hearing Luke Maybank's voice. The two then found him passed out on the sofa with light snores leaving his mouth. "Dad, I need the keys to the Phantom." He didn't answer and instead he stayed sound asleep. "Dad?"

JJ looked down at the coffee table and picked up a orange bottle of pills. Brooklyn watched JJ's eyes fill with water as he looked back over at his father.

Brooklyn noticed something hiding behind the beige flannel he was wearing. She pushed the collar away ever so slightly and it revealed the key to the Phantom. "Hey, J." Brooklyn nudged the boy and pointed over at the key.

JJ exhaled slowly and he reached down to grab a pen and needle to try and manoeuvre the key from around his neck without waking him. As he fiddled around, he spotted the eyes of Luke slowly blink open which made JJ and Brooklyn freeze.

"I didn't expect to see you." His groggy voice made Brooklyn jump. She grasped his arm and pulled him back up off the ground. "You're back."

"Yeah, no, I just- Just checkin' in." Luke grabbed a beer bottle and his eyes darted upwards to Brooklyn.

"This your girlfriend?" Luke asked, a laugh leaving his lips.

"Uh, yeah. This is Brooklyn."

"Nice to meet ya." Luke's face was actually capable of forming some sort of a smile but that smile made Brooklyn tremble. Brooklyn knew from all the drugs and drinking that he wouldn't ever remember meeting the girl but she would rather him never remember her. She chose not to say anything back to the guy who had messed up her boyfriend's life enough already. "School out already?"