nine

"sorry for disturbing you with my crying," ava chuckled.

"are you apologizing for crying? why should you do that?" jake asked, "you needed to cry and if it helped you feel better then there's nothing wrong with crying ava."

ava looked up from her hands to jake's face and smiled at him.

after ava's moment of expressing her emotions, jake and ava sat on the bed and jake was all ears for ava to talk. as much as jake should have been getting rest, he knew that he could never leave ava alone after seeing her cry.

when the two were together, it was rare for ava to cry about anything because that's how she is.
so seeing ava completely break down, a part of jake also broke down.

"well thank you for stayin-"

"jake?" ava called out, seeing that jake was lying on the bed.

ava realized that jake's chest wasn't rising up and down, signifying that he wasn't .. breathing.

"no no, jake!?" ava exclaimed, nervousness building inside of her.

"mrs. shim!" ava called out, running out of the guest room to find mrs. shim running down the stairs.

"what's wrong honey? i heard screaming. is everyth-"

"jake! he- he's not breathing. i'm calling the ambulance," ava stuttered, running to grab her phone.

"wha-" mrs. shim asked, running into the guest room.

"hello?" ava's shaky voice called out over the phone, "hi uh yes. my f-friend .. he isn't breathing and-"

after exchanging a few words with the person on the phone, ava was told that there would be an ambulance coming to the house as soon as possible.

the person that picked up ava's emergency call stayed on the phone with her to keep her calm until an ambulance would show up.

ava put the phone on speaker as she ran inside the guest room, seeing mrs. shim with tears in her eyes. seeing mrs. shim cry made ava even more scared.

"okay honey, the ambulance should be there now," the lady on the phone called out.

ava hurriedly ran to the front door and opened it for the paramedics to come in. she stood on the side of the door as two paramedics ran in with the rolling bed and a box.

shutting the door, she found rosie and ava walking out of their rooms, but were stopped by ava.

"girls, l-let's not go in there right now," ava said, picking brooklyn up and taking rosie's hand, bring them into the living room to wait patiently.

"dad! i have to call my dad," ava mumbled.

"dad?" ava answered, her voice shakily.

"yes honey. i'm kind of busy right n-"

"no dad," ava cried, "jake isn't breathing. the paramedics are here, but- jake isn't breathing dad."

"what do i do?" ava sobbed.

ava made sure she talked to her dad somewhere far away from rosie and brooklyn, not wanting to scare them any further.

"okay okay don't worry. you're at the shim's house right?"

"yes"

"okay i'll be there in five minutes. listen to me honey. stay calm okay? i know you can't, but stay calm for the girls. stay calm for mrs. shim."

"okay. dad, please hurry."

"ava?" brooklyn called out.

ava wiped her tears and tried her best to put a smile on before walking over to brooklyn.

"yes?" ava answered.

"what happened to jakey?"

"i- uh- jake .. jake hurt himself on accident."

"uh oh," brooklyn gasped, covering her mouth, "is he going to be okay?"

"of course he will. jake is strong right? you know he is. he'll be okay," ava assured, but her response was nothing close to confident.

"don't cry ava," brooklyn comforted, holding onto ava's hand.

"i'm going to tell jakey that he made his pretty friend sad. jakey is so bad for making miss pretty cry. hmph," brooklyn pouted.

ava smiled and patted brooklyn's head, "oh brooklyn."

"jake is nothing near bad," ava mumbled to herself.

brooklyn's attention turned to the door and gasped, "MISTER LEE!"

brooklyn ran over to ava's dad and let him pick her up, "hi my little brookie."

ava's dad walked over to ava and hugged her while holding brooklyn.

"jake is going to be okay sweetheart."

"dad we don't know that," ava mumbled, tears beginning to form, "they've been in there for so long."

"and they're leaving right now," ava's dad said as the paramedics were pushing jake on the bed.

ava's heart shattered seeing everything that was going on. jake had some kind of breathing mask on his face and it scared ava so much.

mrs. shim walked out of the room completely broken and ava immediately ran to give her a hug.

"i am so so sorry," ava cried.

mrs. shim hugged ava back and shared a few sobs before pulling away as the paramedics called her and asked her to go with them.

"go seoyeon," ava's dad told mrs. shim, "ava and i will stay back and watch the girls."

"thank you so much minjun. ava honey, i'll update you as soon as i can okay?"

ava nodded and continued to hug rosie as mrs. shim left the house keys on the countertop just in case and left.

ava walked herself into the bathroom and broke down yet once again.

"please not when i just got back," she cried into her hands.