01.

A/N:
*Note: This AU is inspired by a Taekook edit by @/vopejjks on Twitter! A link to copy and paste to it will be provided at the end of the story:)

This is an AU that started off as a challenge and turned out to be something that I decided to put more thought into and work on for several days. It's super short, but I hope anyone who reads it enjoys it regardless!

-

The stiff, ice cold air nipped harshly at Taehyung's skin as he pulled open the door and stepped foot outside. Grimacing, he huddled within his long coat, pulling the fabric as close to him as possible as he quickly made his way down the steps of his apartment building.

The day was bright and sunny, but the December air was still as jarring as ever, forcing everything and everyone to be awake and full of energy. It seemed like the complete opposite to how Taehyung was feeling.

Taehyung had made his way down the street to the end of the block where he now stood waiting for the city traffic to calm its waters. As he was looking around, the red signal at the other end of the street that displayed he couldn't cross yet caught his eye as he saw his reflection, and the reflection of something - someone - else almost exactly like him.

December 26.

The sudden reminder of today's date that came drifting into his mind made Taehyung rip his eyes off the signal, turning to look next to him as his heart clenched in a tiny sense of hope.

However, to his dismay, a bulgy middle aged man was there instead.

Taehyung bit his lip, quickly turning to look away to focus on the bustling street.

The light morphed into the bright, white walking man.

He subconsciously lifted his feet from the ground, walking across the crosswalk as his mind drifted away into a muddled cloud of thoughts.

You're so stupid, Taehyung.

Taehyung sighed, hanging his head down and looking at the asphalt as he continued to rush towards the concrete.

It's been 10 years.

Taehyung felt his heart clench, the feeling rising from his chest up through his throat.

What makes you think he'll come back.

Taehyung opened his mouth, taking in a small, choked breath as he attempted to push the thoughts away.

You're still clinging onto him. Pathetic.

The tears were starting to prick at his eyes, threatening to stream across his face.

He knew that going out today would be a bad idea. He knew he should have stayed at home and occupied himself with other things.

The last thing he wanted to do today was think about him. Yet, that's the one of the first things he did.

In an attempt to gather himself together, Taehyung took in a shaky breath and quickly wiped his tears away on the sleeves of his coat before looking up and continuing his way, his expression falling into its less vulnerable, blank state.

But just as he stepped onto the concrete, and as the signal turned red again, he felt his shoulder being pushed, causing him to stumble back a bit.

"Oh, hey wait!" Taehyung heard a chirpy, sweet voice call out, his arm being grabbed by whom he assumed to be the owner of that voice.

Taehyung looked up from where he was trying to regain his composure and prevent himself from literally falling back into the flow of traffic, getting a much clearer view of the person who landed him in the situation.