12. Studying in peas

Studying in peas

Chapter 12:

The next day after school, Yuri was waiting outside my classroom and I realized that only when my classmates were glancing at me as they left the room, erupting in excited whispers. Walking out, I notice her leaning against the wall with her head bent to the ground, deep in thought.

Woody and Alec wave before running off to get out of the way, while Jerry just does the opposite and stands behind me whilst making sleazy faces as he wiggles his eyebrows up and down suggestively.

"Hey."

She looks up at me in a daze and tucks her glossy hair behind her ear. "I didn't notice you coming out. Sorry," she apologizes as she lifts up her bag in haste and nearly stumbles.

In reflex, I catch her by the waist and take the bag from her. "Whoa, you could've fallen." The weight of the bag makes me quiver a bit. What does she carry? Blocks of ice!?

"Thank you, I've just been so occupied lately. These few days have been very stressful," she explains as we walk towards the library as I carry her bag for her.

"Organising the dance?" I ask and she nods. The tiredness is evident on her face and her head seems to be drooping to a side. I guess if anyone lays a pillow below her head, she would drift off the sleep.

I glance down at her, "You know you really don't have to help me-"

She bolts up and slap her face suddenly to wake herself up, "No! No! I'm not sleepy," she lies and I try not to laugh at the red patches that form on both sides of her cheek.

As we open the library door, I freeze as a happy eyes stare back at me. Hungry to find out if anything is happening between the council president and a lousy Korean babo. I groan internally. The rumours must've spread quickly after all.

"Why are you just standing there?" She asks and peers in as she notices my body frozen at the doorway. Immediately the inquisitive gossipers all scuttle to different corners of the room- some hiding behind the bookshelves while others pretend to read books upside down.

Seriously, these people.

Yuri looks around as she steps in,"Weird, normally the library is empty most days. You want to go somewhere else? We'll probably disturb the other students."

I can literally  see all the faces around me scream, "No!"

Even if they curse me I don't care. I hate being kept under surveillance so I grab her hand and rush out of the library. We run across the hallway and after turning a corner we stop to gather our breath.

It is then I realize that I've been holding her hand unconsciously all this while and let go of it at once, hoping she didn't notice how sweating my palms were.

"What was that for? We ran in the hallways!" she chides breathlessly.

I don't tell her that people wanted to spy on us. Making her uncomfortable and conscious would be the last thing I wanted. " I've heard that exercising is good before studying," I effortlessly lying  through my teeth .

"Oh, really? Maybe I should also start doing that from now on."

She bought it!

Now where can we study in peace?

"We could study in the council room. It will be free now," she offers, reading my mind.

I follow her and as we cross that wretched vending machine, I shiver as I stare at the Pig's face whose eyes seem to follow me as I walk past it. I don't want to remember anything about that drink.