Chapter 4

Harry returned home to his small apartment and flopped down onto his couch. He read through his letter once again and couldn't help but feel excitement bubbling up inside him. Learning magic, actual magic; it was almost a dream come true. There was only so much he could learn on his own and going to Hogwarts he would be able to learn all kinds of new things. But going to this school would mean he would be stuck there, unable to leave and have fun. He would also have to quit work for a while and stop going to school. But it was magic, where he belonged.

He sighed. Decisions, decisions.

Well, going to this new school of magic meant he didn't even have to go to boring old high school. Harry could always find new ways to have fun, with new people too; that was always fun. But that left his work. He needed money to pay his bills and his rent and that was another thing, what would he do about his apartment?

Harry supposed he could pay the rent in advance, maybe even talk his landlord into lowering the price since he wouldn't even be there. Bills could always be forwarded or stopped since he wouldn't be using some of the stuff, like electricity. And work...he probably could have his boss hold his position until he came back and be a part-time worker. If that didn't work he could always get a new job...

Ugh. Too much thinking! He was going to bed.

xxx

The next day Harry decided to give Hogwarts a try. That decision made, he went to work. While there he told his boss about his plans for a new school. He had been understandably upset at having to lose such a hard, dedicated worker but it was an Ivy League school, who was he to stop him?...what? Couldn't he tell a little white lie? It's not like he could tell his boss he was going to a magic school. It had worked out for Harry in the long run. He would be taken off the payroll but he had a job when he came back for vacation so that was cool, even if it was just for two months.

Harry left work in a good mood and started home only to find his "followers" down the street, though there were fewer of them this time. They were having a hard time finding him even though they were in his general area. It probably had to do with his magic. He had run into some nasty people when he was living on the streets and had used his magic to hide from enemies or anyone who wished to do him harm. It had worked too because they never bothered him again, even if he was standing right next to them.

It obviously even worked on these experienced wizards because he was standing in the middle of the sidewalk and they didn't see him.

Harry decided to give them a break. "Hey!" he called out and they turned.

"Harry!" Sirius greeted in relief.

"You know I said I would think about it," Harry said.

"I know, but what if after you thought about it, you couldn't contact us to tell us what you thought?" Sirius explained with a big breath.

"I would have found a way, besides I found you didn't I?

"True. So have you thought about it?"

"Yes."

"And?"

Harry said nothing for a moment watching Sirius' eager face, like a puppy waiting for a treat. "I'm in."

Sirius grinned in happiness, "Did you hear that Moony? He's in!"

"I heard," Remus said tiredly.

Harry had to grin as Sirius started to bounce on the balls of his feet in his excitement. "So where's the pink-haired chick? She was cute."

"I thought you were gay," Sirius said.

"Gay? What gave you that idea?"

"The bar...." He trailed off uncertainly.