In the Chair

Nikki squirms, studies her feet dangling six inches from the floor. She sits in the chair her parents tall like the big buildings uptown where the noise and the streets like the puzzles in her maze book makes her feel small and alone even with Mommy's hand holding tight. In the too-big chair and she has to sit on the edge so her legs don't stick out can't lean back and her feet don't reach the floor and her Mommy and Daddy are yelling all at once how could you do such a thing what were you thinking you know you're not supposed to leave the yard where have you been all this time you scared us to death_well young lady what have you got to say for yourself Speak up.

Nikki squirms, studies the tattoo on her ankle. She sits in the chair the detective circles like the johns down on the track where the smack and the crack on the street like a Wal-mart pimps greeting dealers dealing makes her feel small and alone even with Smith and Wesson held in her tight hand. Have a seat sister and she had to sit in the chair wooden and cold shaking stomach aching needs a hit skin crawling while he circles and yells why'd you shoot him wouldn't pay you got a little rough maybe you struggled and bang he's dead maybe your pimp he shoot him com'on girlie gimme somethin'.

Nikki squirms, eyes wild and wide. A priest intones like a nightmare running Silently screams

           i didn't do it! 

and the odor of fear as her breath and the clock on the wall roar A black phone.

In the chair her mind hugs a doll,

         watcha gonna name her Nikki?

rides a bike on a quiet cul-de- sac on a quiet summer morning.

        Hey Nikki wanna go down to the trails?

holds a boy skin to skin

          seeya around Nikki

and another and another

in tattered rooms scattered love

shattered child