Part 1: Chapter 5

The week went by fast. I had the meeting with the principal and the guidance counselor. Everyone approved of me graduating early. I told them about the two universities I planned on applying to, so we went over each school's graduation requirements and what classes remain for me to take in order to graduate on time. Some of my classes were switched around and we mapped out the rest of my classes for this semester. Hopefully, this will be my last semester in high school. Now, I'm also taking an online college course, which I paid out of pocket for. It's all good because I picked up an extra shift at work.

It's definitely a lot but I think I can handle it.

Me and Briana have been getting along good. She invited me over to her house today, but I told her I had work. She insisted that she could pick me up when my shift was over. My mom is always busy on the weekends and Kennedy is usually at some dudes house or with her friends so I agreed.

"You got table 3," I looked up from the cash register.

I work at this small diner. It is known for its chicken and waffles. The place could definitely be considered a historical spot. It's been around forever and the owner is amazing. The diner does really well and it is always crowded with people from all walks of life. The tips are amazing too.

I don't really talk to anyone at work. They're cool, but most of them are much older than me so we don't have much in common. The ones my age are too messy for me.

I put on my apron and made my way to table three. There was an older couple.

"Hello, welcome to Earl's diner. My name is Asha and I will be your sever. Can I start you both off with something to drink?" The woman gave me a very warm smile and I couldn't help but to smile back.

"Aren't you just a doll. Marvin isn't she just a beautiful young woman." I was shocked at her bold words.

"Oh thank you," I said blushing.

"I bet you got all the fine young men looking at you." I was blushing so hard. I tried patting down my cheeks.

"No ma'am. I'm only focusing on school right now." I wish that was the only reason. No one important has ever even bothered to look my way. I've only ever been with a couple of guys that could satisfy my needs in the heat of the moment, but that's it. I was grateful for her kind and optimistic words but I was only focused on school.

I listened to her fuss over me and spew compliments before I took their drink and food orders. I did have other tables to get to.

The couple left once they were finished. They gave me a generous tip and I was thankful for it.

Once my shift was over, I clocked out and grabbed my small duffel bag with my change of clothes.

I looked for Briana. She was standing in front of her car. I made my way to her and got in.

"Your car is nice."

"Thanks."

"Oh and by the way, my brother is having a kickback tonight."

"I don't want to go to a party," I stated. I know damn well she did this on purpose.

"You not cuz you gone be with me. We can stay in my room the entire time."

I rolled my eyes but didn't say anything.

"Don't be like that," she pouted.

The drive was quiet. It took about 25 minutes until we arrived. Her house was nice. There were a few cars parked out front. Briana parked in the garage and we both got out. I couldn't wait to change into something less tight. Both my work pants and shirt showed off a little too much cuz they're were tight on me.

"My parents aren't home. They work late on the weekends."  I just nodded. We walked into the house. I tensed when I immediately heard people. We passed the living room and all eyes looked our way.

"Aye Briana, you pick up them cups for me?"

"Shit I forgot. Let me just show Asha to my room and I'll run out and get you some."

"Wassup Asha," Brandon said getting my attention.

"Hey Brandon." I looked from Brandon to the others. Cairo was sitting on the couch and so was Derek and another dude playing some game on a ps4.

"Hey y'all," I said greeting them. Briana grabbed my arm and pulled me towards her room. It was definitely what I was expecting. It was all dark, no color at all. She swore up and down that she wasn't going through a phase and that she just loves anything black or grey.

"You can change in the bathroom. I'll be back." She left me alone so I went to change. I brought a pair of panties, an old thrasher shirt, and some biker shorts. If I had known that there was gonna be a party I would have packed some sweats.

I took my work clothes off and left my bra and panties on. I slid on my biker shorts and my shirt. I cursed myself for not packing one that stopped below my ass. I ain't want people to think I was doing too much.

I heard a knock at the door before a familiar voice spoke up.

"Aye it's Cairo, can I come in?" I panicked.

"Uh, sure." I sat on the bed with one of Briana's blankets wrapped around me.

Cairo walked into the room looking sexy as hell. Damn, I clenched my legs together and stared at the floor. I've seen enough girls throw themselves at him just in the last few days. I wonder why he is going out of his way just to come in here and talk to me.

"You alright? April said you been avoidin her all week. And you walked off on a nigga at lunch. Look I ain't mean nothin by it."

"I know. I may have overreacted. I can pay you back." I went to stand up when he stopped me.

"Nah keep it. But you good right?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Just had a lot on my mind lately."

"Mmm ok. You gone come out later?" He asked.

"I don't know. I'm just here to hang with Briana." He watched me for a moment and I shifted under his gaze. I was getting uncomfortable with him staring at me so intensely.

"Ight, we'll see." When he left, I felt like I could breath again. I unwrapped myself from the hot blanket and folded it before placing it back where I found it. Twenty minutes passed before Briana came back.

"My bad. Brandon asked me to pick up so much shit. I'm definitely gone eat up some of their food later."

"Whatchu thinking about?" She asked when I didn't answer.

"Nothing," I shook my head.