Prologue

"How should we be able to forget those ancient myths that are at the beginning of all peoples, the myths about dragons that at the last moment turn into princesses; perhaps all the dragons of our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and brave. Perhaps everything terrible is in its deepest being something helpless that wants help from us."
― Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

In a quiet snow-riddled valley, hidden from the rest of the world by marvelous towering mountains, lies a small village. Villagers bustle about, pushing along carts and closing stalls as the sunsets against the bright orange horizon. As the last of the lanterns go out and every villager drifts off into slumber, an army of chainmail-clad men bearing the sapphire flag of a vengeful king, stalk their way down the mountainous terrain silently into the village.

As the first group of men breaks through the trees, their war cries ring through the air waking the villagers from slumber. Before the first man could grab a sword, he was struck down. Villager, after villager is slaughtered as the glint of a silver blade, is the last they see.

Fires roar, and piercing screams fill the icy winter night as a tiny child slumbers undisturbed by the troubles of her people. Unknown to this small white-haired girl, her dreams of staring down from the clouds as she glides through the air were soon to be interrupted. Not by the yells of her brother as he fights off a warrior or the arms of her mother as she tears the little girl from her heavy furs, but by the chilling roar of a fiery beast bathed in moonlight as he descends from the very clouds she dreamt of.

It isn't until the beats of this white dragon's wings vibrate through the air and he lets out a second roar that the thick pale lashes of the girl's eyes part, revealing icy blue orbs that stare up at the beast drowsily. With a soft yawn, she calls up to the magnificent beast. "Papa."

Or at least that is how she wishes to remember the night...