CHAPTER 10

The rest of the day went by smoothly. Thankfully, there were no more run-ins with Kaleb, I couldn't even imagine what he'd say if there were. There have been several times where I was convinced I'd caught him staring at me, specifically at lunch, but the moment I'd turn my head, his head would shoot in the other direction.

His moods were gonna give me whiplash, I was pretty much certain of that.

I was still trying to retain the anger he brought up within me, trying to understand why, now of all times, he wanted me to stay away from his sister. We'd been hanging out almost every day since the moment I'd moved here and he didn't seem to have that big of an issue with it until now.

Walking through the nearly empty halls, I once again find myself lost in the thoughts of Kaleb Bardin. It was stupid. No one person should evoke such strong emotions in me like this, I barely knew the guy and he'd already managed to piss me off more than my own father had. I felt guilty at the thought.

He hadn't really done anything serious to piss me off until now but that deep rooted anger had already been there accompanied by some other powerful emotion that I hadn't yet labelled.

None of this made sense.

Physically shaking the thoughts from my head, I made a stop at my locker, which Harlow had helped me find in my free period, to take out the library books I'd checked out. There were four in total which apparently went into great detail on Lincoln, the Civil War and the Emancipation Proclamation, they were all on the list of books the teacher had given me on my way out of American History.

As I pull the books out of the locker and into my plain black backpack, a body falls in line with my own, staring intently with a hand on their hip.

I didn't need a good look to know who was standing next to me, hell, the nearly bleached blonde hair was enough of an indicator that the girl standing to my side was Daria Sanderson.

Today was not my day.

With a tired sigh, I turned to face her, 'What?' At this point, her catty bullshit hasn't even started yet and i was already sick of it.

'Stay away from Kaleb,' She all but growls, 'He's mine'

Rubbing my temples with my hands, i close my eyes, mentally preparing myself for her pathetic jealousy.

Boredom evident in my eyes, I lift my head, pursing my lips, 'You know,' I start, 'I'm starting to get really annoyed at people telling me who I can and can't hang around with.'

I close my locker as she takes a step closer, 'You have no idea what you're messing with, Little girl'

'This 'little girl' is about to slam your head through a wall if you dont back the fuck up, blondie' A sickly sweet smile makes its way onto my face. I swing my backpack from one shoulder to another, leaning against my row of lockers.

She almost looks taken aback at my nonchalant tone but doesn't skip a bit, 'I dont know where you think you stood in your old town but here, you're nothing.' She corrects, 'No, you're less than nothing' She takes a step back, 'Stay away from Kaleb, I can make your life hell.'

I tilt my head to the side, pretending to examine her, 'Ya know' I start, clicking my tongue, 'Green isn't really your colour'

'Watch it.' She threatens, and somehow it's not all that threatening. I looked at the watch hanging on my wrist, it was currently quarter to four, Maia and I had agreed to meet ten minutes ago.

'This has been fun, I'll admit' I tap my watch, 'but i've got somewhere to be'

Walking passed her, or attempting to, she grabs my upper arm, digging her claws in as she does so. I lok her dead in the eye, all emotion gone from my face, 'Get your fucking hand off me.' I growl, clenching my fist.