015: trip to the beach 01

CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Trip To The Beach (Part One)

❁❁❁

Nova awoke from a peaceful slumber for once; she'd dreamt of her sister and her mother playing together at the park (albeit the park was on the moon, but Nova knew she had a weird imagination). She lay in bed for a few blissful moments, reeling in the comfort of her blanket against her bare skin as she stared up at the ceiling. The peaceful moment was shattered when Nova remembered what day it was: Beach Day.

Mike had insisted that the residents of Elm Tree made the most of their summer holidays and the summer weather by going to the beach. Nova hadn't been to the beach in years as she never experienced day trips like this at Burnywood. The last time she'd been to the beach was after her dad's funeral; Nova had insisted his ashes were scattered the same place as her mother's, which happened to be the beach. They were in love after all.... at some point... and Nova figured they should be together even in death.

Before Nova could dwell on the memory of her last beach day- the last time she saw her little sister Liliana- Gina was knocking on her door making sure she was up so that Nova would be ready to meet everyone downstairs on time. Gina had even gone to the trouble of making Nova a cup of coffee, which the red head gratefully accepted as she dragged her tired body out of bed.

After downing the steaming hot coffee and changing into her beach wear (a long white sundress patterned with little pink flowers, paired with a light brown cardigan) Nova pulled her hair into space buns, grabbed her green bag, then made her way downstairs. She didn't need to pack much, just sun cream to stop her fair skin from burning, her book, headphones (to drown Carmen out when she inevitably became hyper) and some water. She wasn't going to go anywhere near the sea, so she didn't need a swimming costume or towel or anything like that. Nova sighed as she realised she didn't have any painkillers for the unavoidable headache she was going to get from being in the sun for too long. Oh, the joys of being ginger... Maybe Tracy could get her some? Or a hat at least.

Before Nova could make it down the stairs to silence Gina's hollering, a short, pubescent boy clumsily walked straight into the girl's small frame, shoving her backwards slightly.
"Watch it, squirt." she grumbled, not liking all the socialisation so early in the morning - and on a Sunday too!
"Shit, sorry there Nova." Liam said, looking up from inside his bag and into the girl's eyes. Nova darted her eyes down to see what was so important in the bag the boy was clutching so close to his chest.

"Nothing important in here I promise!" he smiled, "You're looking good there Supernova." He gave me his signature smirk of arrogance and it made Nova want to slap it off him. Instead, she chose to roll her eyes and scoff, "Don't I always, Leo?" Nova walked away knowing he was blushing and most likely checking out her ass. For some reason, Liam's crush on her didn't make Nova uncomfortable like it normally did; teasing Liam was fun. Maybe she was beginning to enjoy it too much?