Chpt 7. The Letter

"Meghan." Called the beautifully inked name off the Manila paper. "What can I say about her?" I tipped the head of the pen on my lip...and thought. What *can* I say about her? I know it's kind of silly to be writing about her like this when we've only just met about 3 weeks ago, but... there's just something about her so... alluring. She's mysterious, she's spunky she's lively and she's.... she's really something. I'm reminded of the little incident we just the other day. One bright afternoon when Meghan and I were sitting out front whilst I taught her to play the guitar. But to my surprise, when she grabbed ahold of it she looked around slowly, stood up, and bolted! Just...ran off with one of my most precious possessions! As anyone would, I shouted for her and ran after. Golly, she was FAST. it was hard to keep up, but I was not giving that thing up. By the time she had reached town, she was already plenty ahead of me and I was already plenty tired. I could barely see her little head turn the corner in the distance and run into a tall building. I sighed and trudged after her. It didn't occur to me that she was practically cornering herself. I excused the lady at the front desk of the building and walk all the way up the stairs. Sweat rolled off my face as I took one of my last steps onto the roof of the building. As I look up, I find Meghan, my dear friend, holding my stolen guitar and strumming to a gentle tune. She sat on the edge of the roof, back facing me and my awestruck eyes. I questioned in my head why she would do such a ridiculous thing but my thoughts were quickly interrupted by the sharp turn of her perky little head.

She invited me to sit by her, and I, not able to find the thoughts nor the words to justify what happened, carefully sat down on the edge next to her

She invited me to sit by her, and I, not able to find the thoughts nor the words to justify what happened, carefully sat down on the edge next to her. The sun was setting, filling the entire sky with a beautiful orange and pink. We simply sat as she strummed carefully at the chords. I critiqued her once and a while, but other than that it was practically only music and the white noises of nature. It was an interesting afternoon. And it certainly made up for the time she ruined my day plans. One morning, I'd say a week ago, I had to go into town. I'd been feeling nervous and when I told Meghan this, I guess she listened carefully. Because when I left my little cot, Meghan tried to convince me to stay. I kept declining but she's proven to be pretty stubborn. In a good way.

For a moment I took a break to write down on the paper. Inspiration was finally coming to me. Anyway, eventually she broke off of me and left me to leave until I heard a cry for help. It sounded painful, so being the friend I am, I ran to her aid. I come closer to see her foot had been stuck under a large rock in the creek. Of course I was concerned! I tried to lift the thing off of her, when suddenly I felt a grip on my arm. She tugged on my sleeve and sent my falling into the creek. I was already shocked of the cold and the confusion of the situation, but it only made things worse when I felt more water sprinkling onto my whole upper body. And you'll never guess what I heard in the midst of it all. Laughter. The laughter of my own friend, the little rascal! She tricked me into getting completely soaked. I couldn't help but laugh. Her attitude is so contagious.

 Her attitude is so contagious

Genius. Get me all soaked so I don't have to go to town. Evil, evil, evil! Pure savagery with this little lady! And I ate it all up. Well it wasn't over. Then I got up and began splashing her back. We were giggling and splashing each other like a couple of idiots with nothing better to do, it was incredible. Once I had written down a little more, I peered out the window. Meg was just outside, trying to sneak Melvin some treats. I giggled to myself. She has no idea. How quaint. I thought more about her. She may not realize but...she's got a big heart. It's all in the little things. A little treat, a little song, a little gift, it all adds up. One morning, a couple days ago, I had gone away to pick the tufts from the Truffula trees. Out of nowhere, when I sniffed the air, I smelled something...burning. of course, I had feared the worst. That possibly a tree was set on fire or even my own cot on fire! I grabbed my things and headed toward the worrying smell. I noticed it was heading toward my place. I got even more concerned and dashed up to and through the door. What I found was more surprising than I thought. Meghan was standing just at the stove with a spatula in hand, and a burnt mess all over herself. She turned immediately and tried to hide what was behind her. Unfortunately, the smoke made it all too obvious. She a had fake smile plastered on her face to hide the guilt, making me snicker. I was relieved.

 Eventually she admitted she was just trying to make us some pancakes, but it all went downhill

Eventually she admitted she was just trying to make us some pancakes, but it all went downhill. That's when I took notice of this trait of hers...her kindness. Her heart. Even if it gets a little messy, she...always finds a reason to be kind. I'm surprised she hasn't had many friends before. Meghan, she's...animated, kind, ...a bit crazy. Very ferine, and...just right. At least she's my type of person. And just the right person to write about. I take the pen and brush it's delicate ink against the soft brown paper.

 I take the pen and brush it's delicate ink against the soft brown paper

Now, I'm no poet, but i find this to be a satisfying letter. For now, I decide to keep it in my drawer until one day, hopefully, I'll gain the courage to show her. Until then, I think I'll take her somewhere new. Maybe the movies? Grease is in theatres. No, no, even better! I'll take Meg to the fair by next week. I'm sure she'll appreciate a little hang out between friends. And maybe...I'll get to know her even more.