Chapter Twenty-four

King Albert's coronation did not have trumpets sounding or cheering crowds. It was one of duty, not of heroism, and the people had not forgotten so quickly that King Allard had died suddenly instead of willingly stepping down from power. Albert placed the crown on his own head, not having his father to do the deed, feeling more like a conqueror than an heir. There were whispers of conspiracy, rumors that King Albert himself had caused his father's demise, but the red knight saw to it that those rumors were silenced. He dragged a bunyip corpse into the open for all to see, proclaiming that if the public wanted something to hate, these are the creatures they should direct that hate towards.

Salina's cold stare fell upon him and King Albert ushered him away, though Albert did thank the red knight for his loyalty and good intentions once they were both out of the public's earshot.

"The nerve of these people," grumbled the red knight.

"They didn't see what happened," said Jasmine.

The red knight stared at the floor with crossed arms, only moving out of his rigid posture when King Albert and Queen Salina both sat on their thrones, hands joined together. The crowd knelt, and Jasmine and the red knight with them. Enkaiein did not participate in the ceremony but the dragons were there, bowing their heads to acknowledge Albreton's new rulers.

King Albert made an agreement with the dragons publicly after his coronation, calling attention to it for all to see. Their kingdoms were allies now, and more importantly, regarded each other as friends.

"Any citizen of Albreton is assured safe travels and welcomed in our land," said Kurventhor.

"And we shall roam both kingdoms freely," Ellindris added in her booming dragon's voice, "To defend both territories from strife. Albreton will not fall prey to any threat, foreign or otherwise, as long as we fly in these skies."

And then, there was cheering. It was King Albert's first political act, and one that was supported by nearly every denizen of Albreton.

Jasmine hung around for a while, until the repairs on the Hall of Truth were complete. Once the ceiling was fixed, she and Salina sealed off the Veins with their fastitocalon scales and the image of a clear, impenetrable wall that manifested itself in a film over the blue mahogany vines that housed the Veins along with the opening in the center of the floor where they sprouted. They barely protested, only poking curiously at the new boundary as if to determine whether or not it was really there.

But soon it came time for Jasmine to say her farewells and she hesitated, lingering near the entrance to the throne room like a child who didn't want to fess up to eating all the cookies. Enkaiein came up behind her.

"Having second thoughts?"

"No." Jasmine sighed, "Well, yes."

Enkaiein approached the throne, clopping his hooves heavily enough to attract King Albert and Salina's attention. Jasmine inhaled and stepped into the room after him.

"Hello, Enkaiein," said Salina.

Enkaiein shuffled out of the way so Jasmine could be in full view. She bit her thumbnail, realized she was doing it, and then put her hand behind her back.

"Jasmine," said King Albert with concern, "You look distraught."

"I guess I do, don't I?"

Albert stepped off his throne. "What's wrong? Are you ill?" Jasmine felt Salina scrutinizing her now as well, the Queen's eyebrows shoved together to crease her forehead.