❖ year one, chapter one

I'd been waiting in anticipation ever since I'd received my letter. Finally, the day had arrived. The day I was to be attending Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. As of this year I'd been staying with Ravana Prior, my aunt. I pulled out my already-packed trunk and placed it on my bed. I had already packed it last week, fully prepared for my first year at Hogwarts. I'd packed clothes, my recently bought wand and a few extras. My snake's enclosure was sitting on my bedside table, after mentally checking everything off my list, I decided it was time to go. "Never forget our arrangement." Aunt Ravana reminded me. That was a whole other story.. you see, my parents are muggles. My witch gene had come from my aunt, who happened to be a death eater, and since being a pureblood witch was the most important thing to the dark lord, that was my new identity. Pure blood, and Ravana was my "mother". I remember a few months ago when the lie had first been established, she had told me specifically; "From now on, I will be referred to as your mother. As far as you're concerned, you're from a pure blood family. Tonight your hair will be dyed the lightest shade of blonde like mine, your old life means nothing here."

So that was that. Somehow, I had to keep up this huge lie. At this moment I was getting ready to board my train to hogwarts. "I guess this is goodbye." I said with a weak smile. Ravana nodded with an expressionless face. "Do well." Was all she said before turning and walking away.

The train was packed, but by some miracle I managed to find an empty compartment. I placed my baggage in the compartment above and sat myself down on my seat. After a few seconds my peace was disturbed as the door was slid open, a group of slytherins had joined me. One round boy, a tall boy with a sneer on his face, and a girl, who was attached to the one and only Draco Malfoy. Draco wasn't my friend, however his entire family and my aunt were tied up thanks to the dark lord, so I'd met him once or twice.

"Prior." Draco said, acknowledging my presence. "Malfoy." I replied. I sat in silence for the remainder of the journey, ignoring Dracos constant complaining about how Hogwarts should have had flying carriages instead of a 'measly train'. Despite Pansy's permanent sneer, she didn't seem all that bad. Her only personality trait I could distinguish was the fact that she was head over heels obsessed with Draco, apart from that, no distinctive personality traits. Crabbe and Goyle were just as silent, chipping in now and again to agree with whatever Draco was complaining about. The train finally came to a halt at Hogwarts, our new school. I exited the train, taking in the spectacular view of the castle. We hopped into small rowing boats for our entrance into Hogwarts, which magically sailed themselves to the castle. Everyone stared in awe at the beautiful lanterns which made the school look even more magical, if possible. Once we were inside the castle, we were led to a wide area where all the first years were gathered. I didn't really know anyone except Malfoy, so I awkwardly stood amongst the strangers who I'd be going to school with for the next 7 years. Professor McGonagall stood at the top of the stairs where we could all see her, welcoming us to Hogwarts.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin. Now, while you are here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup." Professor McGonagall explained. I wondered what house I'd be sorted into. My aunt was a slytherin, of course, but I wasn't my aunt. I was hoping to be a Ravenclaw, I'd heard they got the best view of the castle from their common room. I'd have to wait and see. I was snapped out of my thoughts as a round boy with large front teeth dove in front of Professor McGonagall to retrieve his pet frog. Her expression was so grave I had to hold back a laugh at Neville's poor luck. "The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily." McGonagall informed us, before leaving the room. Draco pushed forward in the crowd.

"So it's true then, What they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." I followed his gaze, he was talking to a brown haired boy wearing round glasses. Harry Potter? The boy who survived the killing curse? I was impressed, and slightly surprised that I was going to be spending time with him at school. "This is Crabbe, and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy." The red headed boy standing beside Harry snickered. When Draco's head snapped towards him, I knew he was in trouble. "Think my name's funny do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley. We'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. Don't want to be making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." Draco snarled, extending his hand for Harry to shake. Harry looked at his hand distastefully.

"I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks." Harry replied, not breaking eye contact. I raised my eyebrows, it was the first day and there was already a new rivalry. McGonagall returned just in time, leading us to the great hall where we were to get sorted into our houses.

Before we were to get sorted, Dumbledore made some announcements I didn't pay much attention to, I was busy admiring his 'ancient wizard' look.

"Hermione Granger." McGonagall called out. A bushy haired girl walked up to the stool, getting a very much alive wizards hat placed on her head.

"GRYFFINDOR!" The hat bellowed, making me jump.

"Draco Malfoy."

Draco sauntered up to the stool and before the hat could even touch his head it shouted; "SLYTHERIN!" Draco smirked, taking his seat with the other slytherins. One by one the first years were called up and sorted into their houses. Harry Potter was sorted into Gryffindor after a few minutes of anticipation, it seemed to be a hard decision for the hat to make.

"Delancey Prior."

I gulped. With a deep breath I walked up to the stool and sat myself down. McGonagall placed the hat on my head. "Prior, I see kindness in your heart, I see bravery in your soul, an edge not many people see.. Better be..

SLYTHERIN!" The hat announced. I didn't know how to react, I knew that no slytherin ended up a hero, but at the same time I was glad to represent my aunt in my new house. I sat down with the cheering slytherins, receiving numerous pats on the back from older students. "SLYTHERIN!" A girl sat beside me, she was another first year who'd just been sorted into Slytherin. She had chestnut brown hair and bright blue eyes and a cheerful smile on her face. "My name's Delancey. Prior." I introduced myself, extending my hand. "Melody Miller." She replied, shaking my hand happily.

"Let the feast.. Begin." Dumbledore announced, before mountains of food magically appeared on the tables. "Woah." I said in awe, looking at all the scrumptious looking food. I grabbed a handful of chocolate covered strawberries, licking my lips in delight. 

❖   hear me out, I want to create Delancey's own storyline, not just sticking with the golden trio and following them around everywhere, otherwise there are plenty of fanfictions exactly the same. However, for some parts I do have to stick to the plot. Especially before the romance between Draco and Delancey, which i'm introducing later on in the story. So in the meantime, it will be following the plot of Harry Potter, but with my original ideas included.