Chapter 9

"We have to stop the Inquest!" I gasped, as Isabel hurtled up the stairs.

"The what?" she asked, in as much of a flap as I was.

"Let me get changed! Get on the telephone to Sussex Police Station. Or Scotland Yard. Or anyone who might be able to tell us where the Inquest is being held!" I ordered, hurrying to the attic to grab the red and cream dress out of my suitcase. I heard Isabel's frantic voice on the telephone as I pulled on the dress, and put a brown pair of comfy shoes on under it.

"Allie!" Isabel shouted. "Deputy Inspector Fisher!"

I ran down the stairs two at a time, grabbing the phone from my sister.

"Fisher!" I gasped. "How long is it until the Inquest starts?"

"Two hours, Miss Winter" Fisher's voice came down the telephone.

"How long till it finishes?" I asked.

"It could be anything from forty minutes to two hours in length" Fisher told me. "But have you really solved it?" he added worriedly.

"Why do you all always say that?" I grumbled. "Of course I have!"

"If you don't mind me asking, how did you work it out?" Fisher asked

"Insomnia" I replied simply. "In the end, it all came down to insomnia."

"You're hopeless" Fisher groaned.

"I'm sorry!" I protested. "Look, you need to delay the Inquest as long as possible. Get Newham and Dr. Scott. Arthman'll help you as well, I have no doubt, and Evangelyn might help too if you tell her I'm clearing her father's name. Make sure the Inquest doesn't end until I get there."

"Alright, Miss Winter. Barnes is going to hate us, but we won't let you down" Fisher replied.

"Miss Dalton to you!" I replied sternly. "Good luck.

"Be quick. We're in the town hall in Merryweather Village" Fisher replied, putting the phone down. I did the same and turned to Isabel.

"I need you to do something for me" I told her,  hurrying into the kitchen and grabbing a pencil and paper.

"Go up to Kensington and sell the two silk dresses in my suitcase. I never wore them" I said, scribbling on the paper. "Sell the purple muslin as well. It'll fetch a good price, and I never wore that either. Once you've done that, take the money and go to this address. Buy all the jewellery you can see, haggle the prices down if they're too high. I know you can manage that. Once you've done that, bring them all back here and don't take your eyes off them."

Isabel raised her eyebrows.

"What 'jewellery' am I looking for, exactly?" she asked.

"I don't know how much there'll be, because I don't know how much has actually been taken" I replied. "But I know it'll be there, unless  someone's beaten us to it."

"What happens if there's too much?" Isabel asked. I sighed.

"Make sure you get any diamond rings, ruby bracelets, emerald earrings, bracelets or necklaces, and  diamond necklaces you see. The rest can wait."

"Where are you going?" Isabel asked.

"To catch the fastest train I can to Sussex!" I replied, running out the door. Isabel rolled her eyes. Sometimes, she really wondered about her little sister.

I finally reached Sussex station two and a half hours  later. After sneakily stealing someone else's cart, I ordered the driver to take me to Merryweather Village, and bribed him with a half-crown if he did it in under half an hour. As the promise of a half crown spurred the driver on, I hung tightly onto my seat as the cart sped down the little lanes.