Chapter 2

Niall

I liked Stephanie. She seemed carefree, somehow. Okay, I haven't really had the chance to properly speak to her yet. But I got a good feeling about her, and I always trust my gut.

Louis and I went around to recruit people to play with us. Stephanie didn't seem to mind to just tag on behind me as I made my way around the area. I asked Cora to join our team, which was an obvious move from my side. Not only because she's my girlfriend but also since she's one of the few people Stephanie knew. It was no use asking Dory, she doesn't remember the rules no matter how many times you inform her. I also asked my friend Jack, and as I was aiming for Pat, Stephanie tugged at my arm.

"What about that guy? I've watched him play for the past five minutes or so."

I looked at where she was pointing, and was a bit disappointed by what I saw.

"That's Oliver. Cora's ex."

"Oh. Okay. Not him then."

"We can't recruit that guy either, or him. And that girl over there, Cora and her once fought over Oliver."

Then I realised how stupid and weird it sounded.

"But we're good!" I said, nervously chuckling. "She was just very popular as a freshman, you see."

Stephanie awkwardly smiled back. I made my way towards Pat again, and he wanted to play with us, so now we were at least five people playing. I gathered them by the side and started talking about strategies, eyeing Louis from a distance as he tried to recruit more people.

"Five players!" I yelled to him, and he looked at me before giving me the finger, probably because he saw I already had Jack and Pat on my team.

Beside me, Cora tried to teach Stephanie the names of all the people around us. Stephanie seemed to be just as confused as I was when I first came here. Not only is it hard to move across the world, then you have so many new names you need to learn and people to get to know and places you need to see. Cora grew up not far from here and knew at least five people when she started college here last year. I came on my own, didn't knew a single soul. But I guess Stephanie had it a little bit easier, having Harry here and all.

"Cora."

She looked up at me, her smile dying a little because of my interruption.

"Why don't you let Stephanie breathe a little before the game? She doesn't have to learn all the names in one night."

"It makes it easier for her on Monday."

"Maybe. But right now it doesn't."

Cora didn't say anything back, just smiling a bit to Stephanie. I knew I had hurt her feelings, and felt bad right away.

"I just meant that it can be a bit tiring to try and learn all that stuff in one night." I gently said, trying to pull her closer to me. She gave in, and I kissed her head.

Louis came walking with four guys behind him.

"Okay, let's do this!"

"All guys, seriously Louis?" Cora sighed. "How is that fair?"

"Are you saying that you and Stephanie can't take a team of just guys? That we should somehow play nicer because you're a girl?"

I sighed, too.

"Come on, Tommo. That's not what she said, but it is a bit unfair."

"Tommo?" Stephanie wondered out loud, but nobody answered her.