Unlockable characters

Apple (1st unlocked)
Onion (1st unlocked)
Samosa (unlocks after cutscene 1 + 2)
Hot dog (unlocks before boss battle 3)
French fry (unlocks before boss battle 3)
Burger (unlocks before boss battle 3)
Cotton candy (unlocks before boss battle 3)
Tuna can (unlocks before boss battle 7)
Onions dad (unlocked after boss battle 9)
Shellfish (unlocks after boss battle 10)
Tempura shrimp (becomes an acquaintance after traveling though the underworld)
Crab cake (becomes an acquaintance after traveling through the underworld)
Lemon drop (can be unlocked any time after unlocking French fry, hot dog, burger, and cotton candy when you go to the daycare and speak to root beer float)
Beef jerky (can be unlocked any time you go to jail)
Bakewell tart (unlocks after you locate her and battle her in a cooking mini game, will join you weather you lose or win)
Pancake (unlocks after you reach the top of Stargazers cliff and talk to her)
Kernel (unlocks after you locate him and chase him down after he sprints away)
Candy apple (unlocks after you go to the theme park and have a boat fight with her)
Romaine lettuce (unlocks after you locate and speak to her)
Lil noodle (unlocks after Apple finds Atreyu and locates lil noodle to give him back)
Chip (unlocks after you complete all of his tasks)
Toffee (unlocks after locating him)
Allium (OC: Onions older brother.) (will appear at your door on a random day after day 10)
Pearl (OC: Onions younger sister.) (Appears 3 days after Allium)
Pearl 2 (OC: Apples older sister.) (Appears around day 15)
Paula (OC: Apples eldest sister.) (Appears around the same time as pearl [her sister])
Strawberry Milkshake (After going back to the apartment on day 35, she says she wants to join you)
Chicken drumstick (After going back to the apartment on day 45 he tests you on your strength in a battle, and joins you if you win)
Dumpling (After going back to the apartment on day 50, she will test your agility in a chase, and will join you if you catch her)
Mrs. Lollipop (After going back to the apartment on day 60, she will test how wise you are in a memory game, and will join you if you win)
Samosas workers (Found tied up on the floor upon entering samosas apartment)
Kombucha (Found pouring herself a beverage in the lab after your team raided it)
Spinach (OC: Onions ex girlfriend.) (Kicks down your door after every character (not post game) is unlocked)

Post game
Energy bar (becomes an acquaintance after the final boss battle + after the energy palace falls apart)
Cheesesteak (unlocks after the final boss battle)
Chicken nugget (unlocks after final boss battle)
Fish oil (Unlocks after final boss battle)
Pill Bottle (Unlocks after final boss battle)
Cough drop (Unlocks after final boss battle)
Mint syrup (Unlocks after final boss battle)
Protein bar (Unlocks after final boss battle)
Herbal tea (Unlocks after final boss battle)
Hoagie (unlocks after final boss battle)
Texas rib (Unlocks after final boss battle)
Wara enab (Unlocks after final boss battle)
Mayor naise (becomes an acquaintance after the team helps re-build the destroyed artifact)
Pizza (temporarily joins the team to help raid the tower of dread)
Patty (temporarily joins the team to help raid the tower of dread)
Falafel (temporarily joins the team to help raid the tower of dread)

Notes
After Samosa joins the team, she has to go back to her apartment to fix a problem, and returns after Apple and Onion unlocks hot dog, French fry, burger, and cotton candy.
People like Falafel, Pizza, and Patty don't join the team before you beat Energy bar cause all three of them are busy, and only join to help destroy the tower of dread in the post game.
All of your team members other than Apple and Onion get taken away by Energy bar upon entering the power castle, and their heads are put on monsters. Not many people will hit lemon drop unless she's the only character standing on your team, when she's hit, she will start crying which will lower the enemies defence a lot, but will also lower her accuracy. Onions dad, Tuna can, Shellfish, Kernel, Pancake, Romaine lettuce, and Hard Toffee are temporarily part of team Cinder until they have a meeting together and plan to run away. You must unlock every character in order to leave the city.