Chapter 1

Stop reading if you have not read Book 1 of this duology. This takes place two months after the events at the end of book 1, so if you need a refresher then I'd suggest going back and reading it. I know this has been long-awaited and I'm thankful for everyone being patient with me. I hope you enjoy it!

2 Months Later

     "Please! I swear I don't have it!" An older man said as he kneeled down in front of me, pleading. I raised an eyebrow as I twisted my hand a little more, crushing the bone in his leg as he hollered in pain.

     "I told you that things would be easier if you'd just be honest with me, Franklin," I said in a bored tone as I watched unflinching, as his bone popped out of his skin.

     Tears were rolling down his face as I watched his pathetic attempts at reasoning and bargaining. I yawned, covering my mouth that was currently covered in blood. "Time's up, old man."

     "Wait!..." I cut him off as I sliced his neck with a knife, holding him up by his hair. I held a bowl underneath his neck, allowing all of the blood to pour out and into the small granite bowl. I dropped his lifeless body onto the forest floor as I made my way back to the center of the altar with the bowl in hand.

     I could faintly hear the whimpering from the sacrifices lined up on each point of the pentagram as I opened up my spellbook, flipping the pages. I poured the blood into a small cauldron as I added crushed up cloves, lavender, small animal skulls, and an owl's heart. I mixed up the ingredients as I recited the spell, "Enchantem faluminsum ogantado betedum!" I yelled as I closed my eyes and hovered my hands over the concoction as I concentrated on my magic.

     I felt my hair whip around my face as the sacrifices screamed in pain at the spell and magic in the air. I smiled evilly as I felt the darkness spread through my body, feeding off of my devotion to the dark arts. The energy finally cleared from the air, as my magic receded back into my body, leaving behind the desired object.

     I grinned as I picked up a dagger. But not just any ordinary dagger. Athena's dagger, the goddess of wisdom and war. The dagger was designed to kill any species dead or alive. The best part about having a God's weapon is only the person who creates and wields it, is immune to the effects.

     I ran my finger along the sharp edge, cutting myself slightly before licking the blood greedily with my tongue. Ever since devoting my soul to the dark arts, I have black magic coursing through my veins, making my blood taste and feel like a drug.

     I held onto the dagger tighter as I heard a rustling noise come from my right. "Good work, Katarina." My father, Abraham stepped out from behind a tree in the woods. He smiled proudly at me as I stared blankly at him. Ever since I switched my humanity off, I don't feel many emotions. Love and compassion are definitely not one of them.

     "Franklin either didn't know where to find the chalice or he refused to tell," I told my father as I glanced over at the old man's body on the ground. I deposited the dagger into a holster on my side as I gathered up all of my materials again.

     "I see. We may have a problem I'm afraid, Katarina." My father said, clenching his teeth.

     I raised an eyebrow. "Well? Spit it out."

     "Your old friends have been on the hunt for you. They're getting close." I know that he was referring to Ashe- my old mate's friends when he said that.

     I shrugged. "Then let them. I won't be slowed down, not when we're this close." And I meant it. No matter how the old Kaia felt, I wasn't her anymore. I was a fearless and stronger version of her. I wasn't weak and blinded by emotions anymore. I was ruthless.