Morning Blues

1964, New York

The smell of coffee hit his nose as he walked into the kitchen whilst fixing his tie, grunting in annoyance when he couldn't get it right.

"Aren't you grumpy". A soft voice said as his wife approached him and fixed as tie like she had been doing for five years.

"I feel sick. My stomach's .... quisey". He mumbled earning an eye roll from the brown skinned woman.

"You're nervous". She stated placing a soft kiss on his caramel coloured cheek before turning around and dishing up his breakfast.

"Am not. Maybe it's food poisoning. Perhaps I shouldn't go into work today". He said running his hand through his thick curls, he noted that he'd have to gel them down so he could appear more professional . His wife whipped around to glare at him.

"Vincent Alexander Glass. You've worked nearly your entire life to get this job. You the first coloured man to get this position, do you want those white men to think that you're lazy. They already think that about our folks". Her country accent was as prominent as ever. He sighed running a hand down his face.

She was right, he was a Negro man, orphaned at the age of eight making his life twice as hard. He remembered living on two meals a day, though those were the lucky ones. Some days he went without. He had come a long way from being an orphan boy from the South. Many men would kill to be in his position, he couldn't afford to squander it because of his insecurities and anxieties. He'd promised his late mother that he'd make something of himself and he intended on keeping that promise

"You're right". He mumbled softly as he put sugar cubes in his coffee. Of course she was. She was always right which is one of the reasons he married her. Katherine Augustine, well Glass now. He'd met her six years earlier when he was still in law school and working for some firm trying to make something of himself.

Her father initially didn't take to kindly to him. A half caste young man with no family, no background, no merit. He wasn't a suitable prospect for anyone really but he'd fallen for the girl and eventually managed to win her father's approval.

"Daddy!". All his anxieties died down when her heard that sweet voice. A smile took over his face as he watched his daughter run into the kitchen dining area and straight into his arms.

"My cupcake". He said picking her up and started peppering kisses on her light brown skin causing her to giggle.

"Daisy take a seat and eat, you gonna make your daddy late". His wife said putting a bowl of oatmeal on the table before taking a seat herself.

The four year old was about to protest until her mother gave her a stern look. That prompted her to reluctantly jump off her father's lap and take a seat next to him before digging into her oatmeal. Vince struggled not to laugh at his daughter's face.

"So honey do you know what time you'll be home?". Katherine asked after she finished chewing her pancake.

She was unsure of the time schedule of her husband's new job but she knew it would be more demanding than the last. She couldn't help but feel anxious at the thought, they weren't spending a lot of time together when he had his previous job so this meant they would be spending lesser time together. He would be bringing in more money but still, she loved the man not his money.

"I don't know but I'll call if I won't make it for dinner". He said as he looked at his wrist watch. He quickly got up taking a last swig of his coffee.

"I need to go fix my hair". He rushed out before practically sprinting out of the room. She laughed shaking her head at her husband's antics.

Her growing belly made it difficult to get up from the table but she managed before taking her husband's briefcase, lunch case and jacket and walking to front door the with it in hand. On cue he rushed out of the bathroom giving a quick kiss to Daisy before walking towards his wife.