A baby in the woods

The valley surrounded by mountains looked green and inviting. Numerous brooks cascaded down, joining into numerous rivers passing through young woods of evergreens, oaks, and birches gathering in small groves. All along the rivers flourished tiny villages.

In one such village, two villagers sat comfortably at a rustic, wooden table set outside a small, rustic, wooden cabin with a low, sloping roof. Other houses nearby looked the same. Noon sun poured down warmly over the scene.

Turning his squinting, green eyes from the friendly sun, one of the two villagers gave the other an uncertain look.

"Maybe you should just stay another day, Grake. It's already noon and your village is far. You are not as young as you used to be."

The other villager, an elderly fellow in green gown, carelessly waved it off and brought a steaming cup of tea to take another sip.

"Mmmh. No, I don't wish to inconvenience you much longer. Just going to finish this cup of tea. It's so good."

The other villager smiled a little, pleased, but then his eyes strayed to the half-empty pot sitting between them on the table. "Yes. You said that three cups ago. Stay and I will make you all the tea you want."

"Hmmm." The visiting villager confirmed, his wrinkles hiding a warm smile that also shone in his eyes, still attentive despite his age.

"I have to get going. Otherwise, my neighbors will decide that I am not coming back and move into my house. Last time I was gone for long, my things went missing and it took me forever to find out who borrowed them." The elderly villager chuckled a little, at which the other smiled, but then shook his head with disapproval.

"I don't know why you still live there, Grake. That's why I left years ago. And look at me now, an elder of my village." The hosting villager proudly straightened his chin but then relaxed back against the cushion propped up against the stiff back of his wooden chair. The comfortable feeling of a day off work induced sleepiness. "You should also come and move in with me."

The other villager shook his head.

"No, no, I am far too old for that kind of change in life, Bart. I am fine where I am. But thank you for inviting me over."

"Of course, of course." The other villager nodded. "It may be only once every few years, but we are friends and ought to stay in touch. It's Jalil's turn to come and visit next, right?"

The visiting villager nodded, but didn't answer more, simply enjoying his cup of tea for a minute longer. The other watched him, his posture relaxed, but some concern showing in his green eyes.

"I'll send my grand-nephews to you if you ever need help. All right, Grake? Don't be afraid to ask."

Several little villagers ran past their house, laughing as they played chase, and the two older villagers followed them with their eyes, both of them smiling a little. Their life was calm and good. Everything was as it should be.

The other villager sighed and reluctantly placed his cup on the table.

"Well, I best be going." He said and his friend nodded, accepting his decision. The visiting villager's eyes held on the woods where led a narrow, little used trail, and a small sigh escaped him, since he didn't look forward to long hours of walking home entirely alone. Still, he got up and so did his friend.

"May we meet again, old friend." The hosting villager gave his friend a strong bear hug, firmly patting his back with hands calloused by much work. The other villager humphed in agreement.

Letting his friend go, the villager watched his friend start walking away. Only when the figure in green gown disappeared among the lush greenery of the trees did the villager calmly look at the empty cup on the other side of the table with regret. Again, he humphed with slight disapproval and glanced at the sun already high in the sky. Shaking his head, he placed the pot and the cups on a tray and carefully carried it to the house.