Chapter 6

Hours go by unnoticed while we train. In those hours, my control over my Geno-arm increases exceedingly. I can now fully shepherd most electricity from source to source. The feeling of a master surges through me. However, I'm not quite there yet. Besides practicing my Geno-arm, I also study Chloe. She's far more experienced with her Geno-arm. Her control over hers is peculiar. She's like a mage using the magic of photons. Waving her hands and arms around, creating sturdy photon shields. Then she moves them around like it's an army, controlled from far-away. While she maintains the formation and mobilization of her shiny, yellow shields, she shoots a sudden light, energy beam between the floating plates. If we didn't have to fight in a war, she would win America's Got Talent without a sweat. I catch myself watching and resume my exercise I've already got the hang off.

Five hours went over like nothing. We're beaten. I decide to take a shower as I'm sweating like a bull. My T-shirt sticks to my torso, annoying the hell out of me. The unpleasant odors I smell from time to time don't improve the situation. Man, Geno-arms take quite the physical toll on a body.

Leaving the basement, Chloe stops me before I go upstairs. She takes my wrist. Her hand is soft and tender, but there's some strength behind it.

"Hey, let's go to the city today. Like in an hour." She asks, straight forward. I did not see this coming and I'm perplexed for a moment. A thousand things jump through my mind. However, I recover fast and a simple "sure" escapes my breath. "Why?" I ask as last and immediately regret a part of it.

"Oh." She says, caught off guard. "No reason. Just for fun. Wasn't this your first time here in Paris?"

"Oh right," I answer plainly. "That's good. I'll be downstairs in an hour."

Chloe smiles and nods. I turn around to go downstairs, but something pops in my mind.

"Do I have to ask..." I begin, standing somewhere middle on the stairs.

"Gina? No." Chloe says with a stoic face.

I chuckle. "Got it."

Going up the stairs, my mind ponders over if this is a good idea. Excluding Gina leaves a bad taste. I mean, she would probably do the same to either of us. Would she even mind at all? I try to push away the thoughts and just enjoy the present. I can worry about the future later.

------------------

Showering leaves a replenished feeling. Warm water pours down on my skin, instantly massaging it with its heat and the small, fine impacts of the uncountable droplets. All my muscles relax and my mind becomes clear. My mind replays the training and the tips provided by Chloe.

"Use the right tools," I mutter as my eyes jump open in realization. I quickly wash my hair and wash all the sweat away. I rush out of the shower and dry myself. I almost slip, but quickly shake it off. I've got an idea!

Trying to contain my excitement, I rush downstairs. I jump in the living room, making Francis and Leila, who were working on their laptops, look up in surprise.

"What's wrong?" Francis asks with worry in his voice.

"Do you guys have a battery?"

Both parents give each other a confused look, but Francis eventually leads me to their kitchen and reveals a large bag, filled with batteries. Small, big, thin, and thick. I take a grab and examine different batteries.

"Which one do you need?" Francis asks confused.

"The strongest," I say while examining the next battery. "Damn, another three-volt one."

"For what?" He asks, arms wide, pleading for an explanation.

I sigh, dropping the three-volt battery. "My Geno-arm can manipulate electricity, right? I can basically steer electricity how I want. I can also create electricity, but it's weak. Only enough to burn a computer component." I explain, thinking back to Mr. Nelson's computer. The poor man.