A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever

Favour Woodpecker, the greatest worshipper of nature, looked at the scene of daffodils outside her window with admiration. She carried the beautiful scene with her as she walked out of her room, pacing round the corridor with no motives. One of her cooks saw her and asked if she was hungry and instantly she remembered her life as a youth when she had no food and now she's a very successful business  woman in Enugu State. She lived in Independence Layout. Back in Imo State; when she was with her parents, life was difficult for them. Her friend, Nicole was very supportive although she came from a very poor family background.
      "Knock", "knock" , someone banged on the door. Favour went down to see who it was as all the maids were busy. 'Alas'!, it was her childhood friend, Nicole. She embraced her as Nicole was shocked to see her friend who was once a mere village hawker, cleaned up. Nicole was still amazed; she was anxious to know the secret after many years, just to find her in Enugu State. They shared some glasses of wine as they engaged in a discussion. As they drank, Nicole kept bringing up the topic of how she 'flew from Imo to Enugu' in such a big house. Favour began the discussion.
        In Umuiyi village, there lived a girl named Favour Woodpecker. She grew up in a very poor family but a cultured one. Her parents taught her morals and respect. Although they had issues with other members of the community and were discriminated, they were loved because of how they nurture, groom and train their children. Favour was a very beautiful girl, her little friends nicknamed her "fine girl no pimples". She was sometimes belittled in the village because of her poor family background, but still, she had many admirers but had a very close friend named Nicole. On a normal note, her parents chose her friends for her, but this time she chose Nicole as her friend because she was well-behaved just like her. She always prayed to become rich one day so that she can assist her parents financially and further her education; little did she know that one day she would become a billionaire, the most famous businesswoman in Enugu State. Her family passed through thick and thin but still had faith in God. They disbelieved strongly in many things but blood transfusion just crossed the limits. They were disgusted by blood transfusion but Favour kept her mind still that whoever needs help must be given help by every possible means even if it means she violates her patents' religion and belief.
         One faithful Monday, news reached the Christopher's family, that their son Frank John Christopher - a handsome young man, in his early 20s- was in a fatal accident and was admitted to Meridian's hospital. Immediately the news broke, the whole family took to their heels to the hospital where they saw their son in the I.C.U (Intensive Care Unit) room. Frank's mother, Esther - a young beautiful  woman with a lovely smile and dimple -  rushed towards  him and seeped bitterly whereas, the doctor called his father Mr John to her office for a private talk. There, Dr Kaisha  told John that his son's condition was critical and had lost a lot of blood. She also told him that blood transfusion would be the best option at that point. Mr John immediately agreed to the proposal and was filled with joy that his son had a chance of survival.
        Few minutes later, still in the office of Dr Kaisha, John recalled that neither him nor his wife shared the same blood group as Frank; he almost broke into tears as he tried to console himself. Frank was the only child of the family and they did not want to loose him. Frank John Christopher was a very handsome boy, as a matter of fact he had a very good behavior. He was a good friend of Favour as they were neighbours. John knew he could never get financial assistance from the Woodpeckers and he also knew their strict belief on blood transfusion but decided to give it a try.
         In the Woodpeckers' house, a knock came from their wooden as Favour quickly rushed  to open, only to see it was their neighbour, Mr John with stress and anxiety written all over his face. He ignored Favour's greetings as he immediately asked of her father's whereabout. A voice came from behind and said:
"I'm here, who is that?" "Ah! There is a huge problem at hand" Mr John replied. He explained everything that happened in details to Mr Woodpecker trying his possible best to draw him towards the idea, but to know avail. He told Woodpecker his son's blood group regardless of the fact that they don't encourage blood transfusion. Favour 'naughtily' overheard their conversation and it quickly snapped to her that her blood group is similar; she decided to donate blood without her parent's consent. John agreed to the idea since he had no option.
         Favour went to the hospital with the excuse of going to visit her friend Nicole. She felt a little bit of guilt for going against her parents' belief but kept in mind that "a thing of beauty is a joy forever", as her mum always said. They went to the I.C.U room where Frank lay helplessly; the nurse called Favour to the adjacent room where her blood was tested and gotten. Few minutes later, the nurse came back and kindly asked to be excused so she can finish her work. She quickly did the transfusion and announced that in a few minutes she'll check on him. She came back to the room with the doctor and they told his parents that he will be awake soon.
      Thirty minutes later, Frank woke up surprised to see himself in the hospital as the nurse quickly rushed to inform his parents. They all rushed to the hospital room where the saw their son smiling at them; they warmly embraced him with a lot of kisses on his face thanking God for bringing Favour into their life. Frank was later cleaned up and set to go home; his parents were still giving their gratitude to Favour who donated her blood to save Frank. Some suggestions roamed as Favour caught one that did they'll make a cute couple, she laughed gently. They got to their compound where Favour went back home. Her parents scolded her but she felt no remorse for what she did to safe a life.
       Six months later, Frank won a scholarship in the U.S as his father won a government contract of 10million. They never forgot Favour. He went back to her and gave her 2.5million to further her education and become 'someone' in life. That day a party was thrown to celebrate such a happy day.
      Favour briefly ended the story to her friend. Indeed, a thing of beauty is a joy forever.

THE END

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER
BY ROLAND PRINCESS