Chapter 2 ~ He's Definitely a Nerd Killer

Chapter 2 - He's Definitely
A Nerd Killer

When I arrived at Jaxon Lancaster's house, I stood awkwardly and nervously on the front porch—silently debating wether or not I should head inside or just head back home.

Skye and Max had already arrived and were currently doing god knows what inside. They always were better at socialising than I was.

Just go inside. I encouraged myself, but to no avail. I remained frozen in place, my face numbing at the bitter, nighttime air, despite feeling as though my insides were currently burning in a pit of fire. I've been standing here for the past twenty minutes now, though it felt like it had been hours since I had first arrived.

After encouraging myself for another five minutes, I still could not bring myself to head inside. The blaring sound of electronic dance music resonating inside of the house wasn't helping with my decision. If anything, it was making me lean more towards the idea of cutting-and-running back home. I sighed as I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going inside anytime soon, so I might as well just head back home. I turn towards the steps to the front porch and begin the descent when the front door swings open.

"There you are!" Jaxon's abrupt voice caused me to halt on the middle of the steps and turn to face him—in doing so, I lose my balance and slip on the edge of the middle step.

Oh crap!

At the speed of light, Jaxon's hand managed to grasp my own, keeping me from falling backwards and cracking my skull open on the path. He pulls me towards him until I am standing upright once again. When I secure my footing on the step, his hand releases mine, cautiously so.

"You okay?" He asked me.

Besides my heart beating so harshly inside of my chest, I appeared to be perfectly fine.

"Uh, yeah, I... I'm okay." I say with heavy breaths.

That could have been embarrassing.

"Sorry for startling you." He apologised as he leant his back against the railing of the steps.

"It's okay." I say, my voice faint compared to the absurd sound of music oozing out of the house.

"Do you want to head inside? I can get you something to drink?" He offered.

I wanted to go home and just bury myself in bed, but I didn't want to be rude—even if Jaxon deserved it, which he did.

I may be socially awkward and very soft-spoken, but I can still hold a grudge. I've been holding one against Jaxon since he knocked my lunch on the floor and said that I wore granny glasses.

"Uh... okay?" I readjusted the sleeves of my sweater so that cuffs were clenched inside of my fists. He leads the way to the door, and I anxiously follow closely behind him.

This was a bad idea..

A bad, bad idea!

Curse Max and Skye for convincing me to step outside of my comfort zone!

"What would you like to drink?" He asked over the deafening music.