March 1973 - entry no. 1

Most mornings in the Goodhart household typically started with some sort of screaming match between Frankie's mother and her older sister, Mary. You see, Mary had a penchant for rebellious behavior, or so their mother believed. She liked listening to rock music and kissing her boyfriend Greg outside in his Chevrolet Nova past curfew. Mary graduated high school four years before Frankie did, and her mother had begged her to go to college. But instead, Mary took that time to "find herself," and put off enrolling into schools on the west coast in favor of finding her own place in the world.

Cynthia Goodhart had a lot of rules in their household, but two that stood out the most (and practically ruined Mary's life) were: no rock music and no popular culture influences. Cynthia believed that her children did not need those things to rot their brain, and instead played classical music and watched films that she had seen numerous times before to ensure they were censored appropriately and recently introduced soy to their diets.

"This is why dad left you!" Mary would say whenever their mother would find a hidden record that went against her arbitrary rules.

"You're so ungrateful, I didn't raise you to be so cruel!" Her mother would respond, and Frankie would sit on the top of the carpeted stairs and watch it all unravel below her.

Truth is, Frankie didn't know why their dad left. She was too young to remember what life was like with him around, but Mary always told her that it was their mother who drove him away with her incessant rules and authoritative outlook on life.

"I'm never going to end up like her, Frankie," Mary would say after their fight, squeezed beside her little sister in her twin bed. Frankie would just hold her hand tightly and agree, even though she didn't really think her mother was all that bad.

A few weeks later when Mary announces that she's leaving Santa Monica and going to San Francisco to become a stewardess, Frankie isn't all that surprised. It was only a matter of time until Mary left. Their mother didn't take this well, of course. She wanted Mary to go to college and find a nice boy to start a family with. She didn't want her running off to San Francisco with Greg to travel a world so far from what she had known.

Before the Chevrolet Nova skids out of the driveway and Frankie never sees her sister again, Mary runs up to her and gives her the tightest hug she could muster. Frankie holds her with all of her grip, wishing that she didn't feel that she had to run away in order to be her own person. But it was out of Frankie's control, so she could only wish the best for her older sister.

"Frankie," Mary whispers in her ear, "look under my bed. That suitcase is yours. Everything you've ever wanted to know, every question you have, the answers are there. I love you. I always have."

After Mary is long gone and her mother has cried out all of her tears, Frankie slips into her sister's room and lifts up the ruffled bedskirt to find an old brown leather suitcase. She opens it and inside is Mary's secret cache of rock albums spanning decades. Frankie heaves it into her room and plucks Tommy by The Who on her record player and plays it softly, and in that moment she feels as if her life is finally starting.