━━ . EIGHT

※

Katherine woke to the sound of water.

She hadn't known where it came from in the backlit interlude of her mind; it was rushing and crashing against the canvas of her dreams like wild horses traversing the prairie. Had she left something on in the bathroom? Was it something wrong with the toilet? No, impossible—she was never that careless and besides, New York was way too expensive to leave water running. 

Slowly, her eyes opened, and Katherine found herself placated in unfamiliar territory. She jolted upward in bed and looked around feverishly. Lavender sheets settled gently around her and as she took in the room she'd awaken in, her heart rate slowly subsided. She remembered the events that led up to this moment—the crazy cloak, the portals.

'Stephen', Katherine muttered to herself. A light gasp parted from her lips and she brought nimble fingers to touch them. For a moment, it was just her and the silence of the room—of the Sanctum. There was a faint element that scratched at her inner ear—a familiarity—the sound that had pulled her from her dreams; the water. She honed in on it and slowly turned herself to the wall opposite of her; it had somehow morphed from artful wallpaper into limestone rocks, complete with a waterfall.

Her eyes studied the wall for quite sometime as she made peace with the fact that a part of her life she had chosen to ignore was finally rearing it's head at her. Katherine didn't know whether she was happy with this idea of finally being able to accept all facets of who she was or if she was scared of what might come after. She took a deep breathe and swung her legs over the side of the bed, anxious for the day. 

Out of the corner of her eye, the Cloak of Levitation drifted toward her.

She yelped in surprise.

 The cloak halted.

"You scared me," she said.

The cloak bowed ever-so-slightly before retreating to the door.

Katherine brought a hand to her forehead and let out a laugh. "I can't believe I'm getting used to this. "

She showered before getting dressed into something casual—a light yellow blouse, a pair of faded jeans rolled at the ankles, and black ballerina shoes to seal the deal. She eyed all of the clothes she'd brought over with her and let out an exasperated groan; moving to a new place meant she had to put all her stuff up over again, but she had no idea if the damned room was going to switch around and have her stuff in another place of the house.

Katherine made a mental note to ask Stephen about it later and maybe, hopefully get him to open a portal to bring the rest of her stuff over. As she brushed her hair in front of an antique mirror, she noticed the cloak hovering in the background.

Katherine put down her brush with a sigh. "What is it?"

The cloak didn't move, and she felt like an idiot.