five

y/n sat down at a table in the dining hall next to eddie. he and richie were across from each other, talking about some cereal that got recalled. beverly and bill were whispering into each other's ears and giggling across from y/n.

she thought it was kind of cool that she and bev were sitting with the boys now, but the one person she wanted to sit with wasn't there. she assumed he just went to the rec room or back to his cabin. she thought expecting him to be there was a bit selfish.

"apparently this batch of it smelled like eddie's mom's underwear, so they asked for it back," richie explained to bill.

"you know she's my mom, too," y/n added.

"yeah, but, if i said 'y/n's mom's underwear' that would sound hot."

"why wouldn't it sound hot if i said it?" eddie demanded.

"are you saying she's hot?"

"shut up, richie!"

y/n looked around the room once more, not seeing anyone with curly hair and a button-up shirt. she sunk back down and rested her chin on her fist.

"what do you g-guys have after l-l-lunch?" bill asked.

eddie and richie had canoeing together, y/n had baking, and bev had a free period, but chose to tag along with bill and go to painting.

~

y/n stood behind a counter in the classroom. it was equipped with a sink on the right, and two placement mats lying on top. she looked at the counter in front of her to see the back of a head full of curly hair. she cursed herself and acted nothing of it until he turned around and looked her in the eyes, laughing quietly.

"hey, y/n.. looks like we're in class together again." he smiled, which overwhelmed her.

"yeah, i guess so."

"everyone will need to have a partner at your counter before we start," said the teacher. "today we're going to be baking simple sugar cookies. i will hand out ingredients once you're all ready."

stan didn't really hesitate to walk to the counter behind him, standing calmly as y/n's heartbeat went a bit faster. the teacher came around to hand them their aprons and a recipe.

"you think you can do this?" y/n poked competitively as she tied the apron around her waist.

"pshh.. please..." he said confidently. "probably not."

she noticed that his more soft-spoken side started to seem just what came of surface level interactions. he seemed less uptight than how y/n assumed he usually was. she could see why eddie was his friend.

"well, i don't really know much about baking things with flavor. you know my family, it's all healthy nut-allergy bullshit."

stanley laughed, almost forgetting y/n was eddie's sister. "that sounds painful."

"yeah. when we get back home you'll have to come over for gluten-free pancakes sometime, it tastes like clay."

"cool." he smiled widely, feeling complimented that she would consider him once they left, in a place that didn't force them to be together.

"that is, if my mom would ever let you set foot in the house.. she's not big on visitors." she looked down at the list of ingredients. when he said nothing back she started reading. "'two eggs'."

he picked up the egg carton and took out two, getting out a large mixing bowl.

he had made latkes with his family for hanukkah, so he knew the basics of making food. stan remembered teaching richie to make them one year, which ended up a disaster as he burned them all, causing smoke to trigger the alarms and fill the kitchen. richie would usually stay over for the holidays, and many other times when he needed a place away from his parents. stanley never interrogated him when he biked over with a black eye. richie would always joke and say something like 'you should see the other guy' and stan would just give him a hug and they'd play video games together.

"crack the eggs and whisk them."

stan got out the whisk. "are you just gonna make me do this?" he squinted at her.

she snickered as he cracked one egg, the white and yolk spilling into the bowl. "i thought you'd be better at it. we could have a cool dynamic where i tell you what to do and then you do it."

"you sound like my dad," he said as he cracked the second egg. it was a bit of a personal joke, but he thought maybe y/n would laugh at it rather than be uncomfortable. and she did, she laughed.

"tell me about it."

after a while of the two of them switching from reading directions to putting it together, it was time to add the flour.

"alright," y/n said. "add two cups of all-purpose flour."

the bag sat between them and stan reached the measuring cup into it, pulling out more than a cup. he remembered how to level powder in cups when the flour or sugar was too much, so he slid his finger across the top. about halfway through, he thought it might be time to spice this baking session up a bit. he flung his finger extra hard while leveling the flour, causing it to get all over y/n's apron. he giggled.

"you bitch." she hit the bottom of the measuring cup towards him. the flour got all over his face, hair, and probably down his shirt. he stood silent for a moment as y/n starting cackling hysterically.

stan got another egg out of the carton and cracked it against the top of y/n's head. she stopped laughing as his face became very surprised in what he'd just done.

"what on earth are you two doing?!" the teacher yelled. they looked at each other for a second before dually deciding to run out of the classroom, throwing their aprons off along the way. "come back here!"

"holy shit!" y/n remarked as she looked back to the door of the baking room. it slowly got smaller as they ran. once they were out of the building they walked to their cabins together before dinner started.

"i can't believe you got flour in my hair. it's gonna take so long to get this out," stan said.

"i don't know, i think you should keep it like that. you've got a nice look going."

he smiled, looking up at her and then away once more. she studied him. "why do you always do that?" she asked.

"do what?"

"it's like... whenever you smile you try to hide it or something."

he brushed his hair back nervously, shaking some of the flour out. "i don't know.. i guess i just don't really like being viewed as someone who's easily entertained."

"what does that mean?" she stopped.

"someone who... someone who doesn't appreciate things that take time.. i suppose."

"that's a weird thing to say," she teased once more. "is that why you like boring shit like birds?"

he rolled his eyes. "birds are not boring. you sound like richie."

she laughed and they continued walking. "ouch."