07

THE FUNNY THING ABOUT SMALL towns is that they love to have social events that require all its inhabitants to culminate in one space. It's the place where most friends come together or fall apart.

Tonight happens to be another one of those tests. Sitting in my bedroom, I make some last small changes to my jewelry, then deem my appearance suitable for the festival. It is themed 'Red and Blue: Thistlethorn's Heart and Glory' to honor the many years this town has been successfully up and prospering, so I go with a simple red dress. I don't bother with the heels, after contemplating on them at the front door, I decide to leave them behind, and wear my converse instead.

It was a good choice, thinking in hindsight now. I didn't realize how much running I would be doing tonight until later on.

"I see you're headed out." My older sister remarks, sitting in one of the chairs decorating on the front porch. Trying not to remark that she looks like a creep sitting in the moonlight like that, I swallow the thoughts and nod.

"Yeah. Doyeon and I are actually meeting up at school, so..." I notice her appearance then frown. "Where are you going?"

"I have some matters down at the police station."

"Wait, did you do something?"

She scoffs. "What? No — lighten up Mai. It was a joke? Bam and I are going out."

I roll my eyes. "Yuck whatever. Save me the details of your little Allie and Noah exchange, I won't be looking for one." I continue my descent down the cemented sidewalk up until I reach the school. When Doyeon and I arrive at the spot in the woods, she grips my hand.

"Usually I'm excited about the festival, Mai. But why am I not tonight?"

"Well," I shrug. "we did just bomb that test in chemistry. I mean, was she serious? Empiricals? We barely covered that last class, and she had even told us not to sweat it." I smile at her reassuringly. "Don't worry. You're just feeling the usual party nerves. And we all are, lately a lot of things have been on edge."

My eyes become stormy at the thought of it. Wow, and even Lisa — as messed up as she is — can make a guy stick around, yet somehow I cannot. Doyeon and I part ways a little later when she spots the rest of her triangle, hanging with their dates.

I've noticed over the years she doesn't like going with a significant other either. Just like me, maybe it's the fact that both of us struggle in that department is what brings us close. Now I don't really know what Doyeon looks for in her heart, but whenever I think about what I want, the only person I think of is...

"Hey Mai." Yeonjun chirps, holding out a cup. "Want a drink?"

I scowl. "What's in it?" The color is blue, probably one of the cool aid flavors they have near the refreshments table. He shrugs. "Tastes like punch to me."

"I would prefer something stronger." But anyways, I chug the cup, then toss it into the trash. I'm sure my lipstick has turned into a deformed shade of purple by now, but I can't find it in me to care. "Anyways," I reach out to smooth my hair. "did you come here with that Dorothy Gale girl?" I snort. "I swear, she probably thinks I'm a witch."

"Yuqi?" Yeonjun shakes his head. "No. Thought it'd be best if I came solo."

"Damn straight." I let out a breath. "You know sometimes the people at Thistlethorn, god, you'd just be better off if you stayed single forever." Then I look at the man who had given Yeonjun his punch cups in the first place. His eyes are on me, of course, and I can already feel the blood rising in my veins. Coming here was such a mistake, because this place is only feeding to my anger.