Chapter 9 || Powers II

"Welcome," voices murmured as River settled herself down. 

She looked up and saw a group of about eight people sitting around a round, wooden table. 

"Er- hi," she replied nervously. Sitting at the circle were Blade, Dante, Aryan, Dr. Ashe, and four unfamiliar faces gazing down upon her. 

The walls and floor were made of stone and the table was off in the side of the room, leaving a very empty space down one side.

"This is River," Blade introduced her. They stared at her unblinkingly. 

"Milo," he nodded to the curly haired boy. "Fox," he pointed to a haughty looking girl with long, black hair. 

"Sirus," he gestured towards a purple haired male who gave a small wave in which River returned back nervously. 

"And Esther," a brunette with kind, large eyes gave her an encouraging smile. 

"And you know the rest- Dr. Ashe, Dante, and Aryan."

Aryan sent her a lopsided, handsome grin that quickly turned into a smirk as River turned away, blushing. 

She couldn't think of Aryan like that when Jack was still waiting for her. 

She focused pointedly at the table in front of her. 

"Soo, how am I supposed to figure out what abilities I have?" She said steadily, still focused on a point on the table. 

"We narrow them down," said Dante. She looked up his way. "Ready?" She took a deep breath. 

"Ready as I'll ever be."

"Alright, let's get started then!" He said happily, rubbing his hands together. 

"So, I don't know if anyone has told you about all the abilities yet...?" "Blade already told me," she replied quickly.

"The Seven Good as listed are: Mind reading, tracking, planting, healing, divination, light bending, and age-shifting"

"The Four Neutral are: Invisibility, levitation, electricity, and speed."

"The Three Evils are: Illusion casting, torture, and fire."

"The Two Rare are: Rebirth and Soul-stealing."

"The first three that are easiest to tell whether you have them or not: Tracking, mind reading, and divination. If you held any of those three, then you would have showed signs already. If you were a Tracker, then you would have felt a natural affinity towards us as soon as you met us, yet you showed an obvious aversion at first." Blade smirked slightly at those words and River narrowed her eyes at him. 

"If you were a mind reader," Dante continued, "then you would have not thought it necessary to ask us so many questions. And if you were a Seer, or your ability was Divination, then you would not appear as stable since Seers are constantly pelted with new and sometimes frightening visions."

"We're going to test some other powers, now," Esther now stood up, brown hair rippling behind her. 

"These are powers that we need some space with," she nodded towards the empty space on the side of the room. Unease cascaded through River. What was she going to have to do? 

"Relax," she smiled, spotting River's distress. "We're going to test your speed, levitation, electricity, and fire."

 River tensed at the word "fire." It was labeled under the "evil" category and she hoped that with all her heart she would not get it.

 She wished that there weren't so many people watching her.

"So for speed, I just want you to run as fast as you possibly can and try to will yourself to go even faster. Got it?" Esther instructed.