Chapter 8

Haru, Suzue, and I were visiting Daisuke's grandmother's after our trip to Hong Kong. "I am Kikuko, his grandmother," she introduced herself. "My name is Kato Haru," Haru said. "I'm Vivi," I said. "Haru-san, Vivi-san. Those are such wonderful names. Thank you for taking good care of Daisuke," she said.

"Um, well..." Haru stammered as he looked at Daisuke sitting next to me. "This is a souvenir from Hong Kong," Suzue said and handed Kikuko a bag. "Is that so? Why don't we all enjoy it together then?" While she prepared tea for us, she asked Daisuke, "Daisuke-san, how are things at your new workplace?"

"Nothing noteworthy," he answered and Haru and I looked at him. "Here you go," Kikuko said and offered us tea. "He's grown up to be somewhat selfish, so hasn't he been causing you trouble?" "Oh no, Daisuke-kun has helped us in many different ways," said Haru as he and I picked up our cups. "Thank you for the tea," we said and drank.

"However, there is somewhat of a difference in financial viewpoints compared to our coworkers. It often creates chaos on the scene," Haru added. I gulped. "Daisuke-san," Kikuko said sternly and Haru and I flinched a little while Suzue looked at him. "Yes?" "You must always refrain from actions that would trouble people at your workplace." "Yes."

I felt a teensy bit bad for him now. "Haru-san, Vivi-san, pardon my asking, but what are your ages?" Kikuko asked us. "Well, I'll be thirty this year," said Haru. "I just turned twenty-seven," I answered. "Not only job-wise but also as a senior in life, please do coach Daisuke well," said Kikuko and bowed to us. "Please leave that to me!" said Haru. "So he could become a true policeman, I will coach him with everything I have!"

I could see Daisuke giving Haru the side-eye. "Daisuke-san," Kikuko said. Daisuke turned to us and said, "I look forward to your coaching. Thank you very much." I could tell that he didn't want to do it, but he did. Then a man with a broom came up behind us. "This is our butler, Hattori," Kikuko introduced to us.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance," he said. "The pleasure's mine," said Haru. "Please excuse my attire," Hattori said before walking off. "As you can see, he is rather unsociable and meddles in the garden all the time. I wonder if that's acceptable for a butler," said Kikuko. "Bulter? Is that the one you always talk to?" Haru asked Daisuke. "Kato-sama, that is the AI butler. It is called HEUSC," said Suzue. "AI? Huh?"

Daisuke looked extremely pissed off as he drove Haru and I back home. "I'll be off on a business trip to Nagoya tomorrow," said Haru. "Vivi, look after him. Make sure he refrains from any actions that would trouble our coworkers." "'Kay," I said and Daisuke stepped harder on the gas, almost sending me flying back. "Hey, don't start breaking the speed limit when I said that!" said Haru.

"This is private property," Daisuke said. "I could've gone flying through your rear window, Sir!" I screeched.

**********

I decided to surprise Haru by picking him up from his business trip, and I had Daisuke tag along too. "There he is," I said when I saw Haru walk in through the gate. He passed by and didn't notice us so Daisuke said, "Are you working hard on your job, Inspector Kato?" Haru turned around and saw us. "Hi, Haru-kun," I said. "V-Vivi, why are you here?" he asked. "Surprise."

A few minutes later, the three of us were chilling in Daisuke's car. "Hurry up and get moving," said Haru. "This is precisely the time when I would like some coaching," said Daisuke. "Damn you!" Haru said and Daisuke drove at top speed to shut him up. "Holy crap, I could've gone out the window again!" I cried and held on for dear life.

"HEUSC, play what's going on at Investigation Headquarters," said Daisuke and Haru perked up. "...is in possession of a firearm, and apparently there is one woman collapsed on the floor. It's very likely that she was killed by the perp," said a voice on the radio. "That's Ryo-kun," I said. "Any demands?" another voice asked. "Chief Takei..." Haru said, recognizing the voice.