𝔠𝔬𝔩𝔡 𝔰𝔱𝔬𝔫𝔢.

[ CHAPTER III : COLD STONE ]

The leaves crunched under Lily's feet. She barely kept herself together, and if she hadn't been in such an area, she probably would have exploded by now. Her internalized grief had been eating at her, and all she really wanted to do was be able to let the hurricane of emotions inside of her out.

However, seeing as she was in a graveyard, she kept her relaxed composure, though she could feel her lip quiver every now and then.

Something about graveyards had changed for her now. Before the unfortunate events that lead to Eleanor Rigby's death, cemeteries had creeped her out so much that she decided to evade them at all costs (especially since she had learned about the spirits of the deceased in her fourth year).

Now, it all felt different. The aura wasn't as sinister, or gloomy. It was slightly welcoming- though it may seem to be odd, it seemed as if the spirits understood her pain. It was at that moment she internally wished that the spirits would just take away all the pain, rather than sit there and watch her wallow in her own anguish. She knew that was impossible, just like someone coming back to life. They weren't tangible, they weren't "gifted" with the unfortunate curse that is life. Sometimes she wished she was one of them, though she knew they mostly spent their days just like she did.

Her eyes swept over the tombstones, quickly coming to the conclusion that Eleanor's would most likely be the least damaged, seeing as the funeral had just begun, Lily barely reaching in time.

She was aware of Eleanor's like for simplicity, much unlike the rest of her family, whose scattered tombstones were decorated with deep engravings, and added stone decor. The Rigby family was never particularly normal, even if you went by the wizarding standard. They were a line of rich and noble purebloods, but when they chose to oppose Voldemort in the war, they were greeted with many losses. It was slightly odd that they were being treated that way considering their heritage, but they had been killed, and there wasn't much else to it.

Lily's gaze settled on a small patch of flowers where a relatively new looking grave was built. Of course, she thought. She should've known earlier. Eleanor loved flowers. The small bouquet that Lily held in her hands didn't exactly match the untamed beauty that the wildflowers held, but rather a much more refined charm.

Father Mackenzie looked towards her with pitying eyes as noticed her. His hands with dirt caked nails, the shovel useless to him now. Grey hair framed his face, softening his sharp features that could- and might've- killed a man. But even though people might end others, everyone understood what death was. And whether people wanted to bring that upon others or not was entirely up to them. But in the grand scheme of things he knew. And so did she. And so did the one in the grave. And so did the ones surrounding them. Everyone knew. Which begs the question- why bring that horrific silence to anyone in the first place?

But in the end, none of it would matter. All that mattered was that Eleanor knew Lily loved her. Even though they were told it was wrong, they loved each other from the start to the end. And that was all they needed. Each other. And Lily could be at peace knowing that.

 wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave,
no one was saved.

607 words. unedited.