The Loser's Win

It was a beautiful day outside, a beautiful day of the high school volleyball nationals. Every team were obviously nervous, but were there to show their strength. That's how Y/N felt when she watched every team her boyfriend, Akaashi, and Fukurodani went against. They both would show how strong they are, and it would end with Fukurodani on top from the fair game they had just went through. Y/N was proud of her boys, and stayed in the crowd to watch every game, all the way up to the finals, where they showed what they were made of the most to their opponents.

In the end, they had lost, and became the nations second best high school volleyball team. Y/N applaud with the rest of the crowd as they lined up. She looked at the setter, who was biting his lips harshly, tears leaving his eyes like a broken faucet as it looked like he didn't want to cry in front of anyone, and gave a soft smile to him even if he couldn't see her right now.

The ceremony still had to happen, and Akaashi seemed to have a better control over himself now after the teams were given a chance to freshen up and get a drink. Though he barely moved, looking like a zombie from how barely he was moving, and Y/N didn't like the look of that. Though she had to wait until the ceremony was over, and it felt like forever because right now she just wanted to hold him in her arms, and when both teams began to disappear from the gym, Y/N took this chance to leave the stands to find him.

Steps were going by fast when Y/N was looking around for the black-haired male, not knowing if his coach was still talking to the team or not. Fortunately, a few turns and she was seeing that just happening, and she hid behind the corner as she heard the coach praise the team for putting up an amazing fight. Five minutes and the coach dismissed them to do whatever they want until they had to go back to the hotel in ten minutes, and everyone immediately walked away to their bags, or to one another, or to take a walk around the building, so Y/N took this cue as a good time that she could talk to Akaashi now. Konoha, who was still beside Akaashi, turned around and noticed the female, who smiled, he smiled back at her.

One more pat on the back, Konoha passed her with a look that told her good luck with Akaashi, and passed with tears threatening to leave his eyes as well. Y/N took a deep breath and walked up to Akaashi, raising her hand to place on his shoulder, and moved around to be in front of him so she could see his face. Akaashi's face was scrunched up, and his lip was still being nibbled on as he was most likely trying to keep himself from crying again. Y/N sighed, sliding her arm down to his forearm and pulled him to the wall with multiple benches against it, and had him sitting on one. As an immediate reaction to sitting down, Akaashi moved his back to the wall and his face was no longer scrunched, and his lips parted for a heavy, staggering, sigh to leave. "What would you think would've happened. . . if I was the one to set the last ball," Akaashi suddenly asked, his voice not having a dosage of sadness in it as it didn't waver like how his body was showing. Y/N tilted her head in confusion, hoping Akaashi would go on by letting her know what he meant. Akaashi tilted his head down from the wall so he could look up at his girlfriend. "What if it wasn't Konoha-san that set the ball to Bokuto-san. Would we have won the nationals?" he looked at her with hope of what she might reply.

Y/N didn't really know what to say, nor did she want to say anything that would damper his mood even more than it already had for today. Y/N couldn't lie, because the question is supposed to be always a mystery. "I. . . don't know," she answered honestly, with the thought of it being always a mystery making her realize it. "Honestly, there would be more of a chance since you're the official setter." it was true, Konoha was just a wing spiker who set the ball to Bokuto. "But either way, the other team had a perfect timing to blocking, so who knows." she walked closer to him, legs between his, as she raised her hands to run her fingers through his black locks. "Just know that you did all that you could." she leaned down to place a warm kiss on his forehead, and an idea popping into her head. "Even if you got the silver medal for placing second. Do you want to know what you won the gold medal for being first place for?"

Akaashi's eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. "What I. . . won? What did I win?"

Y/N smiled bigger, grabbing his giant hand into her small ones, and lifted it up to her chest, flattening against her body. "My heart," she giggled, and continued to giggle a bit more as Akaashi's face began to turn read and he removed his hand from her chest to join his other hand in covering his face.