2. Shopping day

The meal was nothing but joy, laughter could be heard escaping from the house.

The children had told stories or what they did during their days, Hopper had made jokes and they were now at the end of the movie. Joyce was watching the end credits as Hopper got up.

"Thank you for the evening", he said with a smile.

Joyce was about to answer him when a little snore could be heard behind her.

Jonathan went to bed and wished everyone a good night, but there was no answer from the two of them asleep in the corner of the couch. Hopper leaned over El to try to wake her, but Joyce stopped him before he could do anything.

"No! Don't wake her up, not for the moment", she whispered to him.

Hopper stood up to face her. He realized that he too was feeling tired when he noticed that his eyelids were starting to sting. He lowered his head to look Joyce in the eyes.

"We have to go home, Joyce." He said, trying to hide the smile that was forming in the corner of his lips.

"But look at her", she said, pointing her with her chin. "She looks so... peaceful."

It was true, she was. Hopper watched a lock of hair that had fallen onto her lips rising and falling back again with each exhalation. He remembered then that she hadn't always had this haircut, a moment ago she had it even shaved very short and as if she was reading in his mind, Joyce said to him :
"They've grown, haven't they?"

Hopper sighed in response before leaning over to carry her. Yes, they had grown, they had put on weight at the same time.

"You'll warn me so that I don't miss the burial of your back please", she said, laughing.

"Hmm."

He managed to reach the door when Joyce ran to open it for him.

The sheriff thanked her again and walked out.

"Hop?" She called him once he got to the side of his car. He turned around somehow. "Thanks for the evening, we could do it again!"

Then she smiled at him before she waved her hand and closed the door.

Hopper placed El in the passenger seat and fastened her seatbelt, managing not to wake her up.

But the car's engine was not so lucky. His daughter raised her eyelids and rubbed her eyes with her hand. 

"Are we going home?" She asked in a quiet voice.

"Yeah, it's late. Did you have a nice evening?"

"Yes..."

She shook her head and went back to sleep shortly afterwards. 

—♡—♡—♡—♡—♡—

It was a Saturday afternoon, as hot as the days before.

Joyce was getting ready in the bathroom, choosing a t-shirt and jeans that didn't stick to her skin very much otherwise she could really melt this time, especially if there was no air-con in the stores. 

She combed her hair and ran a hand on her forehead, seeing a few little beads of sweat at the end of her bangs.

She decided that her hair was going to be annoying and so braided it and came out when she was ready.

Joyce went into the kitchen and looked over her son's shoulder as he was drawing. She loved to see what he was doing : in the beginning, a simple sketch that would be in the end a masterpiece on her point of view. The evolution of his drawings simply fascinated her.

"Are you okay sweetie? Not too hot?"
Will nodded his head to answer her, he was far too focused on the tip of his pencil lead.