10 - The Strong Opponent

*Flashback from one week ago, phone call of Aaron Murphy

"This is boring me, I wish we'll play real matches already." Coach Aaron Murphy heard this from one of his players, Hakuba Gao.

"I'm not complaining though, but yeah, I'm excited to play. However, right now, even a good practice match will do." Hirugami replied to his comrade's remark.

That conversation was stuck in Murphy's head and so he decided to ask around for a strong opponent for a practice match. He looked at the list of schools around the prefecture and sadly, he can't seem to find a team that will give a challenge against his. I mean, we basically never lost a set during the entire Spring High Qualifiers! Will it be too much to ask for a stronger opponent now? How hard could it be, right?

He picked up the phone and tried to dial his friend's number from Tokyo. "Hello, may I speak with Coach Nekomata Yasufumi?" he asked.

"I'm sorry, but the coach is out right now. This is the assistant coach, Naoi, speaking, may I know who's on the line?" the guy from the other line replied.

"Pardon me, I'm a friend of Nekomata's. Coach Aaron Murphy of Kamomedai High School."

"Ah, Coach Murphy! What a pleasant surprise! Congratulations on making it to the Spring High Nationals again! Can I relay your message to Coach Nekomata instead?"

"Thank you. And congratulations too! I heard your team is also back in the run for this year. Well, you see, I am actually interested for a practice match. Do you think your boys will be available?"

"Hmmmm let's see...." The other guy took his time and the sound of flipping pages was heard over the other line, then finally, Naoi said, "I'm sorry, Coach Murphy, but our schedule is already full. We already booked our team to play practice matches against other teams, and it'll sound bad if we suddenly cancel. Also, the rest of the free time are for individual and team practice. Coach Nekomata and I had it all pre-arranged."

"Ah, I see, too bad, then."

"Can I trouble you for asking why you did not ask around for teams in your prefecture, coach?"

"Not to sound like bragging, but I was actually hoping to face against stronger opponents now, even if it's just a practice match. I'm sorry for the trouble, Coach Naoi."

"No problem at all, coach. I understand your dilemma. It's hard for us too, to look for strong opponents for practice. Must be hard for all teams who'll participate in the Nationals, I think, since all others are busy. I mean, it's rare to find a strong team who did not make it to the Nationals level, right? Then ask them for a practice match?"

At those words, something clicked on Aaron Murphy's mind. Rather, someone's picture came into his mind. Oh.

"Yeah, yeah, you're right. Thank you for answering then, Coach Naoi. Tell this to Coach Nekomata instead. See you at the Nationals. My boys will not be easily eliminated." He chuckled while saying it.

"Haha, that's good to hear Coach. Let me reply on Coach Nekomata's behalf. We'll be waiting for you. We accept your challenge." It seems that the Naoi guy is unfazed by this words too.

They finished the phone call and Murphy browsed through the telephone book again, this time, looking for that person's landline. He finally found it and dialled again. After two rings, someone picked up.

"Hello?"

"Good afternoon, Coach Washijo."

"Who is this, please?"

"It's me, Aaron Murphy of Kamomedai."

"Oh. This is surprising. What do you want, Coach Murphy?"

Damn, he's just as straightforward as ever, Murphy thought. "I heard your team didn't make it to the Spring High Nationals this year?" he said as a comeback. He heard the man say "tch" over the line.

"Something really unexpected happened, that's why. What is this about?" the man tried to sway the topic.

"Actually, I was wondering if your team and mine can have a practice match. Are your boys available?"

There was silence before the man answered, "I'm sorry, but I am currently holding a training camp here right now for the freshmen. And my seniors already retired. The team's composition will be quite new."

"Oh, can we do it after your training camp, then?" Damn, is he playing hard to get? What is he, a teenager?

He always wanted to go head to head with this team for so long now. They always make it to the Nationals, with Washijo's idea of 'simple is best'. However, their teams never had an opportunity to play against each other in the national tournament due to bracket differences and eliminations. Moreover, surprisingly last month, they were unseated as the undefeated Champions of Miyagi prefecture. It won't be their team who will participate in the Spring High Nationals next year.

"Hmmmm, but as I said, Coach Murphy, the seniors have already retired."

"Come on, Coach Washijo, indulge me. Yes they retired but that doesn't mean they can't play. They always can, you know, if you allow them to." There was no answer. "Besides, if I want to have a game against you, I want to play with you at your best." That should do it.

"I'll try to tell them."

"You can always decide it now." I sound so pushy. "I mean, you are the coach. Recall your seniors to the team, even just this once, Coach Washijo. Let my boys handle your strong boys out there. Prove to me your strength."

Again, there was a long silence, and then, "Fine." Yes! "But my boys aren't going to Nagano. You see, we are still actually pretty busy here."

"That's fine by me! No problem at all, we can arrange for our own transportation. Then ah- when will it be? After your training camp right? Let's discuss the rest of the details."

And that's how the deal was closed between the two coaches. Kamomedai will take on Shiratorizawa in a practice game next weekend.